Permissions Issue

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by James Hatz, Jul 20, 2010.

1. James Hatz

James Hatz Bit poster

I recently changed where my home directory is located being we switched to using AD instead of OD.. anyway when I try to open my VM I get a message saying I have insufficient rights now to open the VM. Where do I need to make permission changes?

2. David Rootman

David Rootman Junior Member

Flaky Permissions on Network

Hi I'm not sure what is going on with your issue but I've been having permission issues for a couple of months now. I'm running XP on my parallels. I though getting a server might get rid of the issues I'm facing where I constantly have to go back to re-applying the existing permissions on files to allow other network users including myself to read & write files. I can't find a solution. When I look at the info on the file the permisions are still the same but just don't seem to be appying to the file. I called Mac and they say they can't help me because I'm running Parallels. If anyone has any idea how to fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, David

3. James Hatz

James Hatz Bit poster

Work around

David - what I ended up doing was moving the VM to Users/Shared and that fixed my permissions problem.

4. David Rootman

Hi James,

Pardon my ignorance but what is VM. And depending on the meaning you said you moved it to users/shared. Can you please explain. Thanks, David

5. JamesHatz

JamesHatz Bit poster

What I mean by VM is the virtual machine you created - like XP. I just moved my Parallels folder to the Users/Shared directory off of the Macintosh HD. I tried reassigning permissions on the original location but just couldn't get it to work - moving the folder solved the permission problems.

6. David Rootman

Hi James, Thanks for clarification, although I only think I understand what you wrote. My "Window XP.pvm" was already on the macintosh HD through the following: users/shared/parallels/windows XP.pvm. I pulled up the info on users and changed the permissions for system, admin and everyone to Read & Write. Is this what you meant? Thanks, David

7. JamesHatz

JamesHatz Bit poster

That is what I meant .. however originally I did not have my XP Pro file located there - I moved it from my user folder as trying to reassign correct permissions in my own home directory failed.
    What I would suggest then is copy your .pvm file elsewhere and then do a reinstall of parallels .. after that is finished move your .pvm file back. Again just my suggestion but should work.