Vista on a MAC Pro does not install due to ACPI

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jpziba, Jan 31, 2007.

1. jpziba

jpziba Bit poster

I have just bought Vista today, tried to intall (upgrade an XP image but the intsall stops due to no BIOS support for ACPI.

Tried downloading the latest TC from Parallels but still the same.

Has anyone got a relace copy of Vista to intstall yet?

trying to upgrade XP pro to Vista Business

10.4.8 osx
    Mac Pro 2.66
    Parallels 3120

Help appreciated

"You must make the following changes before installing Windows
    This computer is not compliant with the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) standard. Windows must be installed onto a computer that supports ACPI. Contact your computer manufacturer for a BIOS update or install Windows on an ACPI-compliant computer.
    The compatibility report will be saved to the current Windows desktop."

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  2. Zolk

Zolk Bit poster

This has been discussed in a couple other threads. (1, 2)

You currently must create a new virtual machine in order to install Vista. If you have an upgrade copy, you'll need to follow these steps in order to use your upgrade copy in a fresh virtual machine.

As of now, it's not possible to upgrade an XP virtual machine due to the ACPI issue. Hopefully the Parallels team will be able to address this in a future release.

3. jpziba

jpziba Bit poster

It works. thanks

Works as suggested.

I have created a new instance, and run the Vista install program twice, activating only on the second time.

The whole process takes a few hours but it works

Thanks for the support.

4. wildd86

wildd86 Bit poster

Anyone know if this works?

I have an upgrade to XP coming in the form of Vista Business. I would like to upgrade in Parallels just because it may be easier. So, I went into Parallels and changed the Guest OS setting of my XP VM to Vista. Will this allow me to upgrade within Parallels?

5. jpziba

jpziba Bit poster

I dont think that works, I tried it but still hit te acpi problem. My understanding is that the only way to get Vista to work with Parallels is a clean install. You can not upgrade an existing XP instance.

6. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

“USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system,†reads the EULA.

That doesn’t preclude Vista Home editions from being installed on Macs running Boot Camp, however, since Boot Camp isn’t a virtualization or emulation technology — instead, it makes Windows run natively on the Mac. For now, however, Boot Camp is still in beta development, and still officially works only with Windows XP.

Meanwhile, the EULA included with Vista Enterprise and Ultimate editions allows that operating system software to be installed on virtual or emulated hardware systems.

“In short, this means that if you’re a user and you want to run Vista virtually, you MUST buy the highest end versions of Vista, or you’ll be in violation of the Microsoft EULA,â€

ajm

7. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

Parallels team working on ACPI upgrade fix...

Got word from them today, they are working on the problem and should have a fix soon.

8. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

ACPI Upgrade Workaround...

Guys, I have a simple way to upgrade XP to Vista. Parallels is working on the fix, but until then here is all you need to do:

1) Make sure you are using build 3150
    2) Set your Parallels OS to Vista
    3) Boot up to your XP SP2 OS
    4) From a CMD prompt, rename C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll to hal_std.dll
    5) From a CMD prompt, copy C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\halacpi.dll to C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll
    6) Uninstall Parallels Tools
    7) Reboot (XP may ask you to activate again - no need if you are upgrading to Vista)
    8) Let changes detect and complete (but cancel Found New Hardware), Reboot (again)
    8) Run Vista Setup/Upgrade Program
    9) Install Parallels Tools after Vista Upgrade is complete
    10) Kick-back and enjoy the wanna-be Mac OS called "Vista"