Parallels Tools Installation fails to uninstall previous version

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Paul Hammant, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Paul Hammant

Paul Hammant Bit poster

Parallels Tools installation seems to want to uninstall prior versions. It breaks part way through when it pops a dialog that's suggesting that parallels-tools-i386.msi is missing. I've tried hunting through LocalSettings\Temp\{GUID} folders for various users but can't find a version that makes the uninstaller happy.

What's the brute-force manual way of killing an installed parallels tools, such that subsequent 'update parallels tools' invocations do not choke on the uninstall phase?

my version = 4.0.3844

2. desgael

desgael Pro

3. Bart Landheer

Bart Landheer Bit poster

Keep getting same message

After latest upgrade we keep getting the message that PT can't find the path to installation package 'parallels-tools-i386.msi'. We followed your lead and deleted the old P-tools folder by starting in safe mode, did the cleanup with regedit, but stlll get the same error. The install programm can't find the package?? How to further reset if nothing is there?? reg Bart

4. Bart Landheer

Bart Landheer Bit poster

Did both keep getting same errors 1714 and 1719. Installer is looking for P-T-i386.msi package. Where to find that.
    It's not on my computer.

5. Doug Fielder

Doug Fielder Bit poster

I'm having the same problem. If anyone can post the msi file (parallels-tools-i386.msi) I think that's all I need to complete the Parallels Tools installation.

6. Bernie2

Bernie2 Bit poster

B

Hello,

I run into the same problem, uninstall with Add/Remove programs (KB 4841) doesn't work, and the second link (KB 5116) gives an internal link to which I don't have access. Is it possible to have the procedure to manually uninstall previous version of Parallels tools?

Thanks,
    Charles

7. fguillen

fguillen Bit poster

Same problem here.

I am upgrading from PD 4 to PD 5.. trying to install PT fails because it doesn't find the 'parallels-tools-i386.msi'.

I have tried both of the solutions have been suggested in this thread, not any one have work.

¿Is it the only solution to reinstall the whole software?

Please help..

8. alexofindy

alexofindy Member

We really need a manual uninstall procedure

Parallels support - please provide and post a manual uninstall procedure for parallels tools! This has been a problem for me on several occasions!!

9. MatthewO

MatthewO Bit poster

After updating Parallels, the tools won't install but try every time I boot

Hi there

Since a recent update to Parallels, I have been asked to install Parallels Tools every time my Windows 7 machine boots, yet it stops at the point where it says "Removing Applications" and asks me for the setup-parallels-tools.msi file in C:\Windows\Temp. I have tried numerous times to point it at the file, move the file somewhere else and do the same, and even followed the instructions at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=97285 to mount an image to no avail. Once I hit cancel, I get an error saying "error 1714 the older version of parallels cannot be removed" and then it asks me to reboot, and the cycle continues.

I have then tried manually removing all Registry entries, Parallels files etc. from the system, but that has not worked either as I am sure there are probably loads of hidden drivers / registry entries I am not aware of.

This is terribly annoying. Parallels, please can you help solve this problem.

I am using Windows 7
    Parallels 5.0.9370, build 589435

Attached are my installation log files.

Please can you help, it is now becoming really difficult to use Parallels, and I'm being pushed ever closer to simply using Sun's Virtual Box as it's a free and good alternative (I don't want to do that btw.)

Matt

Attached Files: