Network Access

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mlobel, Apr 13, 2006.

1. mlobel

mlobel Bit poster

I am on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.4.6 and have installed MS XP Home w/SP 2 on your virtual machine. So far I am unable to get network services working. I connect to the internet through ethernet at work and through airport at home. How can I get these services running through the virtual machine?

Thank you in advance for your help!

-- Matt

2. hgear

hgear Bit poster

Add me to the list of people

with the same question. Xp running network not working..I'm using wireless. But it really doesn't matter all that I see on the host computer is
    LAN - Limited or no connectivity.

Thanks,
    Gary

3. Nate OCC

Nate OCC Bit poster

Possilbe Solutions

Most solutions I've tried end up resulting in the same IP problems you have arleady described, so the problem probably warrants the attention of Parallels, but try the following:

Using XP pro sp2, If you are connecing to the internet over wireless, go ahead and have your VM connect over built-in ethernet. Under System preferences -> Sharing -> Internet, click to share the internet over built-in ethernet. Finally, under sharing -> services mark sure that personal web sharing is enabled.

That sometimes allows it to work for me.

4. mizzen

mizzen Bit poster

Same Networking Issue with a Twist

I am having the same issue--I cannot to connect to Ethernet using the en0 option. However, since there are many wifi networks in my apartment building, I tried to use the en1 option. That worked for some reason.

System: IMac 2.0Ghz running beta3; GuestOS: XPSP2

5. kgroder

kgroder Bit poster

Did you go into the Property Page View and set the Ethernet Adapter to en1?

By default it set to built in ethernet and you have to change this.

6. mike3k

mike3k Member

Works fine for me. Just go to the property page and edit the VM. Click on the network adapter and make sure it's set to en1 - that's all you need to do. The VM doesn't know or care if it's a wireless network - just treat it as a regular LAN connection.

7. mizzen

mizzen Bit poster

Aha! Moment

:D I did not realize that my Imac defaulted to not sharing internet access through Ethernet. In system I allowed sharing and voila I am typing this from the workstation window.

8. oliof

oliof Bit poster

Internet sharing does *not* need to be enabled to have the network shared. One needs to choose the correct host os interface before starting the parallels VM, though. I can happily use networking in my XP image without having internet sharing switched on. The only thing you need to know about your Mac.

* en0: ethernet via cable
    * en1: ethernet via airport

It *would* be an improvement if parallels would add more descriptive labels to their network configuration, though.

9. ChessFan

ChessFan Junior Member

Now I've upgraded to Beta 4 and still no networking in XP SP2. I've checked all the obvious things like making sure the Bridged Ethernet option is set to en1 (wireless, airport) etc. Still no luck. Any help/pointers appreciated. Thanks much.

My config is MacBook Pro 2.16GHz, 2 gig Ram, running OS X 10.4.6.

10. DerMike

DerMike Bit poster

Different Environments?

Hello! Do you use different kinds of network-connections? There may be differences in handling a setup where your host is connected to a router vs. having your modem connected directly to your Mac.

Unfortunately I cannot investigate those two further at the moment...

Mike
    [;-)