!!OK Parallels, Cough up another Build, 3120 is so last week !!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by BenInBlack, Jan 19, 2007.

1. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

ok, we've beat this build into the ground

US -> :cool: "we want a new build..."
    PARALLELS -> "You want a new build?"
    US -> :rolleyes: "Yeah!!"
    PARALLELS -> "Well, you can't handle new build!"
    US -> :eek: "Oh Yeah!! Bring it On"

2. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

ME->;) "Ah, Come on, No comment?"

3. greg1075

greg1075 Member

Yeah, a new build that still doesn't fix the unexpected shutdowns syndrome. They'll need to fix that before even thinking of releasing it as the next official update. And I haven't seen any Parallels team member address it. Great product, great new features, but useless if the thing unexpected quits every 15 minutes.

4. MartyMcr

MartyMcr Hunter

New Bulid addiction!

It's very addictive isn't it! Compulsively checking for new builds to see if the latest problems have been fixed and see what's new.

This software is amazing and the speed of change very refreshing.

Heres looking forward to new build.

5. BillInSoBe

BillInSoBe Member

Many of the remaining issues seem to be fairly complex. Identifying what's causing the issues and fixing them could take several days then several days of internal testing. Depending on staffing.

If Parallels is serious about releasing a quality product they'll take their time and release when issues are fixed. We're already at RC1... generally speaking release candidates should be stable builds with few if any blocking issues.

With networking issues, blue screens, unexpected terminations and countless other issues I would hope they don't release RC2 until they are positive they've fixed many of the issues.

The worst part is when Parallels releases a new build they don't tell people what was fixed/changed so we don't know where to focus our testing :(

6. MartyMcr

MartyMcr Hunter

Hmm

It's true the lack of fix logs etc makes testing very hit and miss.

They also seem to go through periods when they answer lots of questions on these forums (well the sensible ones anyway) and other long periods of silence?

7. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Well, most of the times b4 Parallels that I was on beta teams, you had to sign a non disclosure agreement, they are running a public beta.

Releasing those logs is a double edge sword. One, it helps those serious on testing, but Two it also helps the competetion and can be used against them.

Some would argue they bit off more than they can chew in this lastest set of features, the simple fact is someone has to make a decision and sometimes in hindsight that decision seam pre-mature. We dont know the overall direction and we dont know the pressures they are under.

This forum underscores the total value and importance of this product. I 'm on many boards and this is the one of the most active i have ever see. I do know they monitor this board and take all coments very seriously.

I started this thread, poking fun at the amazing speed they have come out with builds, but as Marty said there has been a long period of silence.

As for the crashing, I have set the memory to non-automatic and and set apperance "show live screen shot in dock" on and this has minimized the crashes, though not completely removed them.

So, for the people at parallels, keep on amazing us and we will wait with baited breath ;-)

8. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Ok, I just have to bump this...

Wow. These latest bugs must be some humdingers!

Sure taking a while for RC2 ;-)

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Hopefully they're doing a better job of internal testing this time. RC1 was a poor example of a release candidate and they took a pretty good PR hit. I still think they rushed a bit of code out to have some new stuff to show at the MacWorld show.

10. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Well, I have had every beta since 1970... and not ONE issue, crash, instability, etc. Well with Windoze running.....

As I have tried to move out into Linux.... I am getting odd behaviors...

But my theory is, that it's much more optimized for Windows, which IS what the majority wants to run in the first place.

I give them nothing but the highest props for what they have built.

And I keep my fingers crossed for continuing to avoid the troubles some seem to get...

PAX

11. jeffadams

jeffadams Bit poster

12. NJRonbo

NJRonbo Member

When was 3150 released?

Where on Parallels can I tell what version I am running?

13. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Earlier today. Look at the Parallels menu in the Apple tool bar at the top of the screen. In there is an option for About Parallels.

14. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

YIPPIE !!!

And these silly whiners....

HAHAHAHA

Way to go Parallels....

::Crosses fingers:::: Linux updates too I pray ??

= )

15. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Thanks, Parallels ;-)

My Drag and Drop works both ways now, and I have turned off eye-candy hopefully no mem leaks.
    I am doing my monthly conversion of a magazine and this wil really test clipboard and drag and drop.

16. drval

drval Pro

If you would list what "eye candy" you've turned off it might be useful to others.

17. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Sorry, I assumed all are keeping up on the issues, ;-)

there was a major memory leak and parallels suggested turning ON
    under parallels preferences/Appearance/Sho live screen shot in Doc.

I think all this eye candy is a waste of valuable processor time, and just tends to bloat up good software till it becomes useless. (my personal opinion)

What i found funny was I had to turn the eye candy back on to get parallels to not crash

So at the moment, my Apperance tab is devoid of check marks, and I thank Parallels for answering that request.

18. drval

drval Pro

I asked partly because the phrase "eye candy" was applied by a number of people to a number of different features, including Coherence, and so I was wondering specifically if you meant that you had Coherence turned OFF. I find it's generally best to give as many details as possible, without giving too many so I appreciate you saying that it was "Show live screen shot" feature that you've turned off now.

19. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

No problem,

I have coherence set on all the time. it is amazing feature and definitly not "eye candy", it has become a must have ;-)