Screenshot synchronisation problem

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Adlopa, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Adlopa

Adlopa Bit poster

I'm currently talking to tech support about this, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has experienced this problem.

I run Windows XP, Vista and 7 in Parallels 5 and make constant use of the View > Make Screenshot option to grab the contents of the OS window (I prefer this to the built-in Mac screenshot tool, since it only grabs the OS desktop and not the window frame too).

However, the resulting screenshot is frequently out of sync with the OS window contents — there seems to be a lag of anything from a second or two, to several minutes, before the View > Make Screenshot option actually grabs the current contents of the OS window.

Disabling 3D video acceleration in the guest OS config seems to pretty much fix this, but this feature is the reason I use Parallels 5 —*I need the extra 3D grunt.

So, has anyone else seen this problem?

(And while I'm at it, how about an option to change where screenshots are saved!)

2. ariell

ariell Member

I haven't tried taking screenshots that way, but I have noticed something that seems related. The "live" icon in the dock that shows a screenshot of the virtual operating system isn't live at all. It just seems to get updated every several seconds. Also, while resuming an operating system, it often shows a screenshot of the state the operating system was in a couple minutes before quitting Parallels. So I'm guessing their whole "screenshot" system is delayed.

Personally, if I want to take a screenshot of a virtual machine, I normally do Command+Shift+4 Space Click -- quick and easy. If you just want the OS, I suggest that you use Windows's "print screen" functionality.