Main memory for the VM, I adjust this *how*?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by swivet, Sep 1, 2010.

1. swivet

swivet Member

Right now, the VM is stuck at the default 512MB, and I need to boost it to 768 or better, so Windows XP will quit complaining about the size of its paging file. But I can't type in the text field or drag the slider to change the setting for main memory.

I read the help file and I realize that

Parallels Desktop > Virtual Machine > Configure... > "VM Name" > General: Main memory

might not be adjustable when the VM is running. But the Virtual Machine menu is not available unless the VM is running, so... ???

I tried allocating 1024MB manually in application preferences. That makes no difference so far. What am I doing wrong?

-----------------
    2009 MacBook Pro 2.93GHz with Mac OS X 10.6.4 and latest build of Parallels Desktop 5.

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Most settings cannot be changed while the virtual machine is running. Shutdown the virtual machine, then change the RAM setting.

Go to Window -> Virtual Machine List. Then click a virtual machine to open its window (don't click the Power button in the Virtual Machine List, otherwise the virtual machine will start running). When the virtual machine window is open and in front then the Virtual Machine menu appears.

You could also right click a virtual machine in the Virtual Machine List window and select Configure.

3. swivet

swivet Member

That's what I thought, too, and that's not how it works in my installation of PD5 for Mac. Clicking anywhere on the list item for a VM launches the virtual machine for me. But a right-click works as you say, so thanks for that.

It would be nice if application help said something about this. Attached PNG file shows the steps to access the configuration menu for a virtual machine.

TX/jc

Attached Files:

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

You can change the start automatically option at Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Options -> Startup and Shutdown.