Cannot boot VM following Migration

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Allan Crowson, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Allan Crowson

Allan Crowson Bit poster

I have a perfectly functioning PD 5 installation on a MacBook Pro that I needed to move over to a MacMini. I used Apple's Migration Assistant to move over the entire account, applications, etc., including Parallels and the VM (XP Professional).

All attempts to open or launch the VM yield the following message: "Unable to connect Hard Disk 1"
    "A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The vertual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected."

Dismissal of the alert reveals the black boot screen where the last line reads: "No boot device is available, press Enter to continue."

Attempts to configure the HD for the VM show the image, but it is grayed out and unavailable.

I tried all kinds of searches online and have found nothing of any use whatsoever. I looked at permissions for the .pvm, and for the HD inside it, but there does not seem to be a problem there. I've only had PD5 for a week or two, and now this. Most frustrating.

2. I-che

I-che Pro

Hello Allan, you can try to simply copy .pvm file from MBP to ~/Documents/Parallels on MacMini and create new VM based on existing image file.

3. MrLynn

MrLynn Member

I have the same problem, having used Migration Assistant to transfer all my files to a new iMac from a MacBook Pro, both running Snow Leopard. I am running Parallels 4.

Everything transferred all right, including the .pvm file mentioned here (but in the Library/Parallels folder, not in Documents; same place as on the MBP). However I get the same error: "Unable to connect Hard Disk 1". I have tried using the Configuration menu, but no luck.

Were you ever successful?

See the thread I started over here: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=421048

/Mr Lynn