Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3150 RC2 is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Feb 1, 2007.

1. STim

STim Bit poster

Hello everyone!

Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3150 RC2 is now available for download.

Additional details and download information is available on this page: http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/beta_testing/

PLEASE REMEMBER: this is a Release Candidate software. While this build gives you the rough understanding of the final set of features to be available in Final Release later on, it is still a Candidate and thus is still not recommended for production use. Do backup your virtual machines before trying them with this build.

This build provides several very important fixes to the problems found in previous Betas and Release candidate:

* The widest list of fixes are USB ones. Web cameras including iSight should work fine since now. Many other devices reported by beta-testers should work as well.

* Another wide list of fixes and improvements are Boot Camp fixes.
    * Since RC2 it is possible to utilize Boot Camp partition installed not on the same disk as Mac OS X is.
    * Many BSOD conditions are fixed.
    * For advanced users it is now possible to edit Boot Camp partitions configurations via VMs .pvs configuration file (check this thread for details http://forum.parallels.com/post42129.html).​

* Several Coherence improvements:
    * Windows' Start menu is now shown if one clicks Parallels Desktop icon in Dock if user has his "Show Windows Taskbar" option set to off
    * VM now remembers if it was last shut down in Coherence mode and starts in it next time
    * Clicking on Windows application on Mac now starts VM in Coherence mode with selected application.​

* Stability fixes lots of segmentation fault (Parallels Desktop window closes unexpectedly) conditions are now fixed;

* The nasty memory leak found in live screenshot in dock feature is now fixed.

* And many other fixes

Several important known issues:
    * Mouse pointer may disappear during Parallels Tools upgrade. To have it reappear, right-click your mouse or uncapture and capture again the keyboard input
    * Parallels Tools setup does not autostart in Windows NT guest OS. You should manually start the tools installation process.
    * Windows 98 does not restart if the process is initiated within guest OS. You should manually restart it.
    * Aggressive connecting/disconnecting of multiple USB devices may result in guest BSOD or segmentation fault.
    * Some USB devices dont work yet. ​

Once again I would like to encourage you to send your bug reports to beta@parallels.com mailbox. Be it non-working USB device, a description of your Boot Camp installation that fails to boot inside Parallels Desktop box or the specific application that is not handled correctly by Coherence we are interested in any feedback that lets us improve Parallels Desktop and deliver the best one to you!

Best regards,
    Tim and the Parallels Team

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  2. engyew

engyew Member

Yeah! iSight support!!! oo yeah, oo yeah, uh-huh, uh-huh. Way to go guys! Thanks! :D

3. engyew

engyew Member

... but no drivers! :( I can see iSight in my hardware list but it has not drivers.

4. STim

STim Bit poster

The easiest way to get iSight drivers is:
    1. Download and install latest Apple Boot Camp from http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
    2. Browse to Macintosh HD->Applications->Utilities
    3. Right-click the "Boot Camp Assistant" and select "Show Package Contents".
    4. Go to Contents->Resources and click the DiskImage.dmg to mount it.
    5. Find the "Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe" and copy inside your VM.
    6. Run the file. In a short while, all necessary drivers will be installed. Reboot and enjoy iSight

Best regards,
    Tim

PS: We can't redistribute Apple software, that is why you don't have iSight drivers by default.

5. 328iGuy

328iGuy Bit poster

Can iSight be used strictly for ichat still or can we use isight as a webcam for MSN for example in XP?

Thanks

6. alain

alain Bit poster

And where is Vista Bootcamp Support ?

I'm very surprised that Parallels doesn't support Vista on Bootcamp partition yet.

Is there a legal problem ?

Could Parallels Team tell a little bit more about this ?

Thanks,

Alain

7. PeterH

PeterH Junior Member

RC2 and Boot Camp on separate disk

OK, now RC2 detects that my Boot Camp installation in on disk other than where OS X is installed. That's entirely correct. The problem is that when I try to boot up my Windows XP, it displays this message:

More than one Windows partitions are found. This is not a standard Boot Camp configuration. Please refer to the Parallels Desktop for Mac User Guide, Using Boot Camp Windows XP Installation chapter for instructions on how to configure Parallels virtual marchine in case of a non-standard Boot Camp configuration on your Macintosh computer.

That's very interesting and absolutely true. The problem is that after reading the four relevant HTML help pages, I don't know how I can fix the problem. The closest I've come to a solution is a defective link on page file:///Library/Parallels/Help/14239.htm referring back to "http://www.", although the hint may suggest that the right reference could be http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/faq. I entered this address on Safari but got nowhere useful.

Considering that my non-standard Boot Camp installation consits of one main NTFS partition with Windows XP on it and a 32Gb FAT32 partition for data sharing, can anyone suggest what I must manually change in my "Microsoft Windows XP.pvs" file so that my XP will boot within Parallels?

Thanks.

8. Lev

Lev Bit poster

Great update

Just wanted to thank you for getting rid of the windows task bar entirely. I know this wasn't a huge concern for a lot of people, but i really appreciate it.

9. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Aaaaah, after upgrading and installing Parallels Tools my system won't boot anymore. I get...

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

10. STim

STim Bit poster

Please check this thread for details: http://forum.parallels.com/post42129-1.html

11. jfarnswo

jfarnswo Bit poster

I got this problem as well, but it was before I upgraded Parallels (after a MS hotfix that I installed today). I had to do a recovery in BootCamp via CD to get Windows functioning at all, but if I boot the VM in parallels I bluescreen incredibly fast and go back to a boot prompt (there's no timer or dumps). I was able to catch the stop error, and it's a 0x7B -- inaccessible boot device. System is working fine in BootCamp now, but no go on Parallels.

For giggles I tried the steps in the post above to manually set the device, but it's booting into Windows, so it's not a pointing issue -- I think something in a recent hotfix has made it so Parallels can't properly emulate the Windows system disk.

http://forums.parallels.com/thread8360.html

12. PeterH

PeterH Junior Member

Thank you, Tim. Now, in the first boot of Boot Camp, a message appeared on screen saying that Parallels were going to be installed and that I wasn't supposed to do anything like restarting the virtual machine, as I might lose data. So far, so good. The problem is that now an ominous dialogue has appeared that says:

Windows - System Error
    A duplicate name exists on the network

I have no idea what that means. The only choice I am given is clicking on an OK button, but the big problem is that I have no mouse control on Windows (it's on the initial users screen). Since I can't click on OK, and pressing Enter doesn't do anything, what do I do now? Can I reset the VM? Do I turn the Windows machine off?

Thanks.

Edit - Since first posting, my Windows XP has entered the default screen saver and there's nothing I can do to return to normality. The keyboard is unresponsive in Windows, as is the mouse (the Mighty Mouse that came with my Mac Pro).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  13. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

DITTO !!

Bless ya...

Now, how about a tiny bit of focus on Linux Tools ??

Pretty please ???

= )

14. luomat

luomat Hunter

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  15. dailo

dailo Member

Anyone else still have the Parallels Tools overlaying the message? Not a big deal, but it does everytime even though I have latest parallels tools installed.

16. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

17. cal6n

cal6n Bit poster

Seconded. Linux is much more useful than windows to me!

18. gholland04

gholland04 Bit poster

I'm having the same problem, not using bootcamp. I cannot boot windows once after it informs me about incorrect Paralles tools...

Does anyone know the fix to this?

Thanks,

19. crunchy2

crunchy2 Bit poster

This is working great and I love the changes to Coherence, but there is one problem with it. When I set Coherence to use multiple displays, I get an error message when I try to go into Coherence mode, saying that the windows environment can't support the screen resolution. I increased the VRAM for the virtual machine to 32 MB but it didn't make any difference. It works fine if I don't let it span multiple displays, but that has the weird effect, of course, of making windows invisible if moved onto the second display.

I have a MacBook and am using the built-in 1280x800 display and an external 1680x1050 display.

20. digiot

digiot Bit poster

upgrading from RC1

Do I need to un-install RC1 and Parallel-tools before installing RC2?
    I am running XP on a Bootcamp partition on a MBP Core2Duo . Please tell me if there are any major issues with this set up.
    Thanks