Upgrade to PD6 results in BSOD for XP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MROMANI, Sep 10, 2010.

1. MROMANI

MROMANI Bit poster

I mistakenly took the offer to upgrade to PD6 from PD5. Now XP results in a BSOD when I try to use it. It worked fine in PD5.

Any ideas - Running OSX Snow leopard.

BSOD dump says

Technical Info Stop 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x00000000, 0xBA4D30C0, 0xBA4D2DBC)

Any ideas. Parallel's support has been of no help.

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

MROMANI,

Please provide some additional information:

1. Reproduce BSOD and click menu Help->Problem Report and post report ID here.
    2. Do you use Boot Camp?
    3. Do you get the BSOD on first boot after upgrade or after Parallels Tools installation and reboot?

3. MROMANI

MROMANI Bit poster

1) 6615371 - problem report ID
    2) I do not use Boot camp
    3) BSOD is on initial start after upgrade. I can boot into safe mode but it won't boot in Normal mode.

I did uninstall PD6 - installed PD5 and the XP VM was fine. Reinstalling PD6 resulted in the BSOD with same error.

4. Anton@Parallels

Anton@Parallels Parallels Developers

MROMANI,

Can you please upload Windows crash dump file to our ftp location?
    It'll significantly help us to investigate the issue.

Shutdown your vm. Go to /Users/marco/Desktop in finder.
    Right click on "Microsoft Windows XP.pvm" bundle and select "Open with->Parallels Mounter" in pop-up menu. "[C] Microsoft Windows XP" will appear on your desktop. Got to "[C] Microsoft Windows XP"->Windows in finder. Windows puts here the system crash dump file - memory.dmp. Please, upload it to ftp://fe.parallels.com/1d966130d4e0cc4237be901b248e4630/
    After the upload is completed, right click on "[C] Microsoft Windows XP" on your desktop and select "Eject".

Thank you in advance.

5. MROMANI

MROMANI Bit poster

Sorry but there wasn't a memory.dmp file any where in the C: directory.

6. Anton@Parallels

Anton@Parallels Parallels Developers

MROMANI,

Sorry, looks like I wasn't exact. I meant C:\windows\memory.dmp file. But if it's not there, we have another way to get the crash dump.
    Open terminal and type
    prlctl internal {e2c2b61a-b808-854a-aaca-5fe6944dbbb0} dbgdump
    but don't press enter.
    Then start your Windows VM and after crash, when Windows will start drawing blue screen, press enter in terminal windows. prlctl will generate Windows crash dump file at /Users/marco/Desktop/Microsoft Windows XP.pvm/memory.dmp

Thank you in advance.

7. Cbylund

Cbylund Bit poster

BSOD on a fresh install of PD6

Just upgraded to PD6. My XP VM worked fine in PD5. First try to start the Windows in the VM with PD6 gives me the BSOD with the *** Stop: 0x0000007E error.

Is there any solution?

8. Cbylund

Cbylund Bit poster

Anton,

Did you find a solution to MROMANI's issue. I just installed PD6 and get the same result when I try to start my XP VM. Worked fine in PD5.

Thanks in advance.

9. BSartist

BSartist Member

Is anyone working?

Is this BSOD issue really being ignored? Amazing.

I'm on V4 and never went to V5. I so would like to upgrade. Even though I don't like having to re-buy the product each time, I would eventually do it to stay current.

10. alev

alev Parallels Team

Possible solution

In case you have installed Visual IP InSight software in PD5 VM and faces with BSOD 7E at booting VM in PD6:

To solve this problem, we recommend you to perform the following actions:
    1) Mount VM using - right click on VM bundle and select "Open With > Parallels Mounter"
    2) In the mounted image (must be located on your desktop) please rename file:
    C:\Windows\system32\drivers\IPVNMon.sys -> C:\Windows\system32\drivers\IPVNMon_disabled.sys
    3) After that, unmount VM: eject mounted image.

You are now able to boot VM without BSOD.
    Please update Visual IP InSight software to make it work properly.

11. GiselleP

GiselleP Bit poster

Hi. I have this same problem and I don't have Visual IP InSight software installed. Is there a fix for this or do I have to reinstall windows XP?