USB<->Serial

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ZMerLynn, Apr 20, 2006.

1. ZMerLynn

ZMerLynn Bit poster

I have a MBP, and would like to attach my Garmin eTrex Legend GPS to it. The only way to do it is through a USB<->Serial cable, which is currently in the mail. If I attach a USB<->Serial cable to the MBP, will Parallels Beta4 allow me to add it as a serial port to the VM, or do I have to wait for full USB support? This should be clearly doable once Parallels supports USB, but I'd like to do it in the Beta since I have a road trip coming up soon.

Right now if I try to add a serial port, I just have the "output file" and "socket" options and the physical serial port option is greyed out, but I'm hoping that if I have a USB<->Serial, the physical option will be available.

As a side note, the client/server option for the socket seems a little odd. Why not allow a bidirectional interface of some sort? Then I could actually write a dummy daemon to suck from the serial port and send it to the socket even if Beta4 didn't directly support it. (Or is the socket bidirectional and I'm misunderstanding? Entirely possible .. maybe server is just a matter of who's calling listen or whatever?)

2. plarusa

plarusa Member

I am looking to do something similar. Wich USB<->Serial adapter are u. using for your MAC ?

3. plarusa

plarusa Member

Answering my own question, you are probably using the keyspan device.

4. ZMerLynn

ZMerLynn Bit poster

I couldn't find the Keyspan for cheap. I ordered a Sabrent SBT-USC1M for $9.99, here: http://www.directron.com/sbtusc1m.html

It's only USB 1.1, but who cares for a serial device? Someone else made a dongle for a similar price, but I wanted a cable version - worried the dongle would more easily snap off / come out (and, hey, the cable gives you that much more reach).

I'm basically assuming Mac OS X will pick it up and add it as a serial port device to the devtree, but I don't have any experience with this device, or how Mac OS X will handle it.

Edit: Lemme guess, also dissatisfied with the complete lack of good mapping software on Mac?

5. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

I'd love to do this as well so that I can (a) program my TV remote control and (b) program the mobile ham radio in my car. Both of those devices have Windows only software and while I can bring the remote control to my office where I have a Windows box, it's not practical to remove the radio in my car. So I'm REALLY ready for USB<->Serial via the VM
    D

6. ZMerLynn

ZMerLynn Bit poster

Looks like I'm biting the "too early" bullet again. The USB<->Serial cable I selected is a PL-2303 chipset based cable, but the PL-2303 driver doesn't work on intel yet, it seems. Sigh.

Though, when Parallels has USB support, I can pretty much ignore the lack of a Mac OS X driver.

7. alxs

alxs Bit poster

Hi,

did you consider looking for adapters using the FTDI chip (http://www.ftdichip.com). Personally I have very good experience in Mac and Windows world. They already have an intel driver and there are cheap adapters out there (e.g. http://www.digitus.info or directly from FTDI)

I didn't test it with PW so far.

Alex