Fan on overtime in Parallels 6

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Tony Linde, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Tony Linde

Tony Linde Member

Another problem with Parallels 6 is that the fan problem has returned. Under Parallels 5, the same problem was solved by upgrading MacFUSE to 2.1.5 beta but, since upgrading to Parallels 6, the fan now runs continuously whenever I start a VM.

t.

2. BSartist

BSartist Member

I am stunned by the number of regression issues that pop up in every upgrade. This is such a great product when it works but I just wonder what their QC and test methods are.

3. Tony Linde

Tony Linde Member

Pretty poor, I guess. I tried the 2.1.7 beta and it royally screwed everything - left click didn't even work! Then uninstalled MacFUSE, reinstalled Parallels and switched to using Coherence mode. No fan problem and scrolling problem also avoided. I prefer window and full screen modes but guess I have to wait for maintenance release for this.

t.

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

Tony,

Are you saying that fans spin only when your VM is in Windowed/Full screen? Could you open OS X Activity Monitor and see which processes consume the most CPU? A Problem Report taken via Parallels Help menu during excessive activity would also help.

5. MBH

MBH Bit poster

I've just upgraded from Parallels 5 to 6 and am experiencing the same problem with the fans going into overdrive. MacBook Pro is overheating and the prl_vm_app process is running at about 25% which seems a bit high. The problem occurs whether in full screen or window mode. I've submitted a problem report through the Parallels Help menu...

6. KarimB

KarimB Bit poster

I'm having the same issue as well - any help in this matter would be much appreciated. Thanks! One more thing, often a few minutes after the fan goes into overdrive, the entire VM starts to slow down to a crawl. Now, this doesn't happen all the time, but I would say about 25% of the time. What I end up having to do is to suspend the VM, Quit Parallels Desktop (allow the fan to go off), and then start over. While I do enjoy having the convenience of Parallels, this issue really dampens the whole experience.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  7. Tony Linde

Tony Linde Member

MBH & KarimB: have you tried what I did: uninstall MacFUSE and then reinstall Parallels 6? Does that make any difference? If not, does working in Coherence mode instead of Window/FullScreen help?

Thanks,
    Tony.

8. KarimB

KarimB Bit poster

Thanks for the reply Tony. However, being a Windows guy, I'm not entirely sure how I can go about uninstalling Fuse... Would you mind providing some information on exactly how does one uninstall Fuse. Thanks in advance :-D

9. KarimB

KarimB Bit poster

Also tried Coherence mode... did not seem to help.

10. Tony Linde

Tony Linde Member

Hi KarimB, bring up System Preferences from the dock. MacFUSE will be in the 'Other' section at the bottom. Select that (it'll have to quit and reopen Sys Prefs) and you'll get the MacFUSE prefs which should have a 'Remove MacFUSE' button at the bottom.

I know how you feel. I'm a Win guy myself but, at the time, MBP was the lightest 17in laptop around.

11. KarimB

KarimB Bit poster

Hi Tony - thanks! That seems to have done the trick!! Everything seems to be working fine... except now I have seen a couple of BSODs with some sort of a memory issue. Will need to check out the minidumps to see what happened... Thanks for your help chief and I'll keep you posted on the BSOD issue. In the interim, if you have any advice on tackling the BSOD, I'd appreciate that as well :-D

12. aa.

aa. Member

1) Hi KarimB, It would be great if you uppload your minidump to our server. I sent you instructions in the private message.
    2) Tony Linde, thank you for the hint with MacFUSE - we'll check what can be wrong with it.