Coherence - Change in v6

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Steve Hunt, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Steve Hunt

Steve Hunt Bit poster

My Coherence setting in v5 was exactly the way I wanted it ... tool bar along the bottom of the screen and NO Windows desktop.

Since upgrading to v6 I can't seem to find the way to get that back ... The Windows desktop is present all the time as a window -- any suggestions on how to make it disappear again?

2. aleiby

aleiby Bit poster

I have a similar issue. With v5 I liked having the windows taskbar along the bottom, and have windows apps minimize to it (not the dock). After upgrading, these settings have been lost. When I open the Configure... window for the Virtual Machine, there is no option under Coherence to "Hide minimized windows" (as demonstrated in the help when clicking on the question mark in the lower right). This is with WinXP.

3. RiX

RiX Junior Member

P6 going backwards

P6 : Where is the coherence feature : DO NOT MINIMIZE WINDOWS TO DOCK ?
    i would go back to the previous version if i cannot have this feature back.

P6/P5 : random copy / paste stop working between VM and MAC - never fixed since P4

P6/P5 : windows key get randomly stucked - very annoying - never fixed since P4

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

There's an option to show/hide the desktop in the View menu.

There's an option to show/hide the taskbar in the View menu. You may need to turn off Crystal mode in the Coherence settings.

I'm not sure what's going on with the "Hide minimized windows" option. It doesn't exist in Parallels 6 except in the Help document. Did it work in Parallels 5? To make stuff not appear in the Dock you can turn off the "Share Windows applications with Mac" option.

5. BSartist

BSartist Member

Another astounding failure

V4 broke things that worked in V3. I stuck with V4 and never went up to V5 either because I read about all the epic fails. Looks like I won't be doing V6 either. Too bad cuz I was looking forward to the speed improvements. But it's the same thing all over again with everyone posting nothing but problems.

Usually as software matures, it converges on stability. Parallels has managed to break that pattern.

6. STim

STim Bit poster

This option is now synced with "Minimize windows into application icon" setting of Mac Dock. You can find it by right-clicking Dock->Dock Preferences...

We fixed a number of issues related to this problem. Does this issue still reproduce for you with PDfM6? Can you please generate a problem report and post here its ID?

This issue is resolved in PDfM6. At least I suffered from it too in PDfM5, but since PDfM6 I never saw it. Does this issue still reproduce for you with PDfM6? Can you please generate a problem report and post here its ID?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  7. Steve Hunt

Steve Hunt Bit poster

Resolved

It is not very clear ...

In the Coherence settings -- you have to turn off all three of the settings (Crystal mode plus two others I can't remember) ... save those settings ... and then shut down Windows ... Stop the Parallels VM ... then start it up again.

It now works that way I was used to but seems unnecessarily complicated to explain what is going on.

8. RiX

RiX Junior Member

More info

---------------------------
    As said above i just started using P6 for a few days.
    I can tell you that on my WIN7 VM it hasn't happened so far.
    But when i'm on my WIN7 VM and i remote connect to some WIN server via RDP it still happens.
    After testing several fixes, the one that worked the best is to press COMMAND - D a few times (show desktop)
    and it finally unstuck the key. This rings any bells for you ?

9. jtenenb

jtenenb Member

This is half true. Yes, if the minimize windows into application icon is turned on, the windows do not end up in the task bar, but dock expose which should reveal those windows when you hold the application's icon does not work, making the hiding of the windows pretty useless. How has that not been fixed since v5?

-J

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  10. Alfredo

Alfredo Bit poster

Same problem with copy&paste after upgrading from V5 to V6. Besides, inside VM OS (Win XP) copy works in a random way, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

11. JoachimB

JoachimB Bit poster

Wish List

Hallo,

thats bad :-(
    i need a other setting for the mac and the VM.

all mac prgs. at the MAC dock at screen 1
    all win prgs. at the WIN taskbar at screen 2

paralles 6 and osx 10.5.x ok
    paralles 6 and osx 10.6.x please give the old option free also osx 10.5.x

bye Joachim