I'm so excited, I just can't hide it! How's 'bout Quickbooks?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by xray, Apr 21, 2006.

1. xray

xray Junior Member

Just ordered a MBP yesterday (2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120 GB HD). My mind is just racing with ideas on how I can use it with and without XP. I presently have a PBG4 and run VPC. Looks like Parallels could be my little Nirvana in a world gone mad.

OMG I am tired tired tired of VPC7! I run Quickbooks (payroll feature on the Windoze variety is much better than the Mac variety of QB, IMHO) and am wondering if there are any known issues with wireless internet connections to my Airport Extreme (for payroll updates inside QB)? VPC7 sometimes connects to the internet through my Airport Extreme and sometimes it does not but I can usually prod it into working (i.e. by opening a new Internet Exploder window). You get the picture.

QB is my only mission critical Windows application (oh yes, that and Stamps.com). Anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks for a seemingly terrific product!

$39? A bargain! You bet!

2. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

I've not installed QuickBooks on mine yet; I'm waiting for maybe one more beta to get it a little more stable first. That's one of the very few things I regularly use Windows for, so that's a big one for me. Once I can move QuickBooks onto Parallels, the P4 box on the floor next to me can go away. Woohoo!

3. xray

xray Junior Member

Yes, I am anxious to make the move to the MBP. I'll probably take the risk and install QB and do frequent backups until I'm sure of stability.

X

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

We installed QuickBooks at our Lug. Admittedly, it was on a Linux host, however the VM was XPoo. It worked perfectly, just like everything else we have tested.

5. Copilot

Copilot Member

Quickbooks works fine.

Yes, Quickbooks 2004 works fine in Parallels/WinXP.
    This was one piece of software that prevented me from switching all of our office computers from Dulls to Macs. I have 1 PC remaining in my office, and you guessed, it's the one running Quickbooks.

So far, Parallels is beyond my expectations. I've assigned only 256megs of RAM to Parallels/WinXP and it's running quite a bit faster than 1.8 ghz PC when running Quickbooks, even after running it half day. Simply amazing. Quickbooks as I understand it, is a memory hog....and yet Quickbooks on Parallels VM with less memory is running faster.

I am planning on further testing to be sure and wait till the final version before swithing, but so far so good.

6. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

I'm eager to make the move to Parallels for my business stuff too, but I rely far too heavily on QuickBooks to take any chances, so I'll make myself wait a little bit longer. :)

My preference of course would be for Intuit to make QuickBooks on the Mac do all the stuff the Windows version does, but until then...

7. n4khq

n4khq Member

I have not installed Quickbooks but I am sure you won't have any problem. Wireless works great. Why not use Quickbooks of OS X? Quicken sucks because of data format and conversion but Quickbooks for OS X will read Windows quickbook files just like office. You must need a souped up version that is not available.

8. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

I need access to the QuickBooks Merchant Account service, which isn't supported by the Mac version of QuickBooks. Otherwise I'd switch in a minute. :)

9. Copilot

Copilot Member

This is my plan with Quickbooks in Parallels

Since I am so fed up fixing and maintaining windows XP all the time, taking up my valuable time...this is what I plan to do until Intuit finally brings Mac version of QBs on par with PC version.

1. Make a nice clean XP installation with Quickbooks, Firefox, Spybot pre-installed.
    2. Save that image on a CD or zip it.
    3. Use Quickbooks on Paralleles PC but save the Quickbooks files on the Mac thru networking.
    4. Whenever Parallels installed Windows XP gets sour, just delete the image and replace with the clean saved XP VM image from CD or zip file.

10. ZMerLynn

ZMerLynn Bit poster

I'm using Parallels for straight Quicken already. I just backup frequently. Granted, that's one person's data versus an entire payroll, but I trust it enough for my financial data.

My theory is that the Windows install will remain relatively clean, anyways. I think Windows installs tend to get more and more cluttered because people have a natural tendency to install more and more, but I'm trying to keep the VM clean.

11. molcha

molcha Bit poster

QB 2006 Installed

Installed QB 2006 on Win XP running with parallels.
    Using Mac Mini with 1gig ram. 256 devoted to the VM.

At first, QB seems like it runs fine, but after a update using auto updates the problems start happening.

Frequent crashes and sometimes i get the following error message:
    QB has experienced a problem and must be shut down. We apoligize for the inconvinience.
    Code: 19061 05002

Has anyone got this?
    Not sure if my parallels setup is wrong? Anyone get QB 2006 to work wihout problems??

I had is setup as an expanding HD but i think i same switch it to static. Not sure if thats is the problem.

12. constant

constant Forum Maven

With storage prices so low, and with the performance benifit greater than running a dynamic VM with Compressor, a static VM has to be the way to go. At least that's what I think.

Not that a dynamic VM should be causing your problems. But, stranger things have happened.

13. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

I'm using QuickBooks 2004 without any problems; I never saw a need to upgrade to 2005 or later; they keep taking away features I rely on instead of adding stuff I want. I'd switch back to QuickBooks 2001 if they still let it connect to their banking services.

14. molcha

molcha Bit poster

Problem fixed...!!!

This refers to my previous post a few days ago!

Quickbooks 2006 seems to be running perfectly now, changing companies, logging on and off!

I had looked up the code with QB tech support (who dont know anything at all about anything!!!!) I eventually spoke to someone who had said that the code meant that some files QB was trying to access were missing.

In any case, I first uninstalled my QB!
    Then used "Image tool" to create a "plain" or fixed HD.
    I then reinstalled QB 2006 to a new directory! (very important step)

I updated QB using there auto update function. It downloaded about 68 megs worth of files. I am now running vesion R7P of QB 2006. You can check your version by pressing F2.

Everything seems to work now, loaded up my company and havent had problems since!

Hope this helps someone! Good Luck.

P.S. Love parellels! except that i can use my USB Printer/Fax to fax!!!

-Meir!