Parallels Mobile doesn't find my VM's

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by NiltonHC, Sep 14, 2010.

1. NiltonHC

NiltonHC Bit poster

After upgrading to version 6 and updating to the most recent build of Parallels V6 and also installing Parallels Mobile in my iPhone, I can't access the virtual machines remotely.
    When I login at Parallels Mobile in iPhone I receive a message that no virtual machines were found, although there is a virtual machine with Windows 7 running in my Mac. I have already logged in at Parallels Desktop Preferences screen.
    Is there any additional configuration I should set?
    TIA.
    Nilton

2. MannyA

MannyA Bit poster

Same here - no VMs Found

I can successfully log onto the Mobile Server and do a direct connection as well, but neither show any VMs - I get "No virtual machines found" in both cases. I know that it is talking to the MAC since if I use a bad password, it fails.

3. brkirch

brkirch Pro

I had the same problem but managed to fix it. Uninstalling Parallels Desktop and reinstalling did not help, deleting the preferences for Parallels Desktop did not help, and adding new virtual machines did not help. Since I was running out of ideas I tried using Parallels Mobile with a new user account in case there was something account specific that was causing the empty VM list. That did work. So I tried deleting the user account that wasn't working with Parallels Mobile (but keeping the home folder), recreating it and then moving the home folder back and that fixed the problem.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  4. Daniel Großmann

Daniel Großmann Bit poster

Same Problem

Hi,

I have the same problem.
    German Version Upgrade.
    Build 6.0.11822

Waiting for help....

5. quattrocoupe

quattrocoupe Bit poster

I was experiencing the same issue. Then I thought "hmmm I wonder if the machine name is "case sensitive." Once I changed the case, I got in perfectly.

JB

6. antoniong

antoniong Bit poster

"I was experiencing the same issue. Then I thought "hmmm I wonder if the machine name is "case sensitive." Once I changed the case, I got in perfectly."

Doesn't work here.

Anyway: why does one have yo enter AND computername AND IPnumber?

7. ponder-mac

ponder-mac Bit poster

Good troubleshooting. But creating a new user and migrating home folder stuff.
    No thanks. Parallels needs to track this down. Feature just isn't working.
    Two chat sessions and a phone call have yielded robotic techs just going down a checklist.

8. STim

STim Bit poster

Thank you for your reports. So far there are no good workarounds for the issue available and we keep investigating it.

First, let me list cases, when VMs are not showing in the list by design:
    1. Invalid VMs will not show up (those have "?" sign instead of start button in VM list on Mac)
    2. VM templates
    3. Encrypted VMs

For example, if you have three VMs on Mac, two of them are encrypted and third is a VM template, then your list in Parallels Mobile will be empty.

Second, you should be very careful with the username you choose to connect to Mac. The correct username is suggested in Parallels Desktop->Preferences->Parallels Mobile.

Assuming that all is fine with the above, please provide us with some more technical information about your issue. To do it, please
    1. login to your Mac with Parallels Mobile
    2. Go to your Mac, open Parallels Desktop's Help menu -> Report a problem
    3. Generate a problem report and post here its ID.

The problem reports will contain some technical data and logs necessary to investigate the empty VM list problem.

9. NiltonHC

NiltonHC Bit poster

Tim, I reported at problem. The ID is 6651858.

In my Mac I have 3 VM: Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Linux Ubuntu. None of them are encrypted and all of them are fully functional, being installed from their original medias.

Thank you.
    Nilton

10. STim

STim Bit poster

NiltonHC - thank you!

@all - please post more problem reports. There must be something simple that we miss, analyzing reports from more than one customer should reveal it.

11. themanisdan

themanisdan Bit poster

Same issue

My report id is 6653265

12. brkirch

brkirch Pro

I found the problem. It has to do with Parallels incorrectly reading the last entry of RecordName from Directory Service when it should be reading the first entry. RecordName will contain multiple entries if logged into MobileMe.

To see what I am talking about go to the Terminal and type "dscl localhost -read /Search/Users/<username> RecordName" (replacing <username> with your username) and type return. If you are logged into MobileMe, you should see a line that looks like this:
    Code:
    RecordName: <username> <email address> <SHA1 hash>
    If you are not logged into MobileMe you should see this instead:
    Code:
    RecordName: <username>
    Looking at parallels.log when trying to access the VM list will show something like this if logged into MobileMe (and the VM list in Parallels Mobile will display as empty):
    Code:
    Parallels user [<SHA1 hash>@.] successfully logged on. [sessionId = {12345678-1234-1234-1234-123456789abc} ]
    Task '26Task_PatchParentalControls' with uuid = {87654321-4321-4321-4321-cba987654321} was started
    User with name <SHA1 hash>
    User with home path /Users/<username>
    Looking at parallels.log when trying to access the VM list will show something like this if not logged into MobileMe (and the VM list in Parallels Mobile will display correctly):
    Code:
    Parallels user [<username>@.] successfully logged on. [sessionId = {12345678-1234-1234-1234-123456789abc} ]
    User with name <username>
    User with home path /Users/<username>
    Task '26Task_PatchParentalControls' with uuid = {87654321-4321-4321-4321-cba987654321} was started
    Edit: Sent in a problem report with this information, ID 6653618.

13. SteffenL

SteffenL Bit poster

Some problem here with newest German Version of Parallels 6.
    i've also an mobile.me account. i'll check this solution when i'm at home.
    hope paralles will fix this asp.

14. dalves

dalves Bit poster

Same issue here

case 6654025

15. dalves

dalves Bit poster

Signing out of Mobile Me on the Mac worked as described by brkirch. Something to do with Mobile ME and Parallels Mobile Server

16. Daniel Großmann

Daniel Großmann Bit poster

resolved

Hi,

my problem was the user-name.

i had o use a version in small letters.
    Mac User is "Daniel"
    i had to use "daniel".

There was no error. Totally wrong username showed an error.

Now all is working fine.... directly and over internet.

17. SteffenL

SteffenL Bit poster

this can't be an solution for me, or my problem.

i've double and tripple checked the userid. in my case the userid is on the mac completly in lower case
    and so i used it also on my ipad.

18. themanisdan

themanisdan Bit poster

Same result here: Signed out of Mobile Me and it worked.
    I need MM though so i'm hoping for a fix soon.

19. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

ok. We've got this - thank you very much for reports guys. Here is a workaround for those who want to try mobile app right now until we fix it. Just go to Mac's System Preferences->Accounts; select your account and in Full Name field specify something different from your system login (first name and last name for example). Then try to use mobile app again. BUT use your SYSTEM NAME as Mac's login at the mobile app, not friendly name (full name). You'll get the same problem otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
  20. SteffenL

SteffenL Bit poster

confirmed

works for me.

thx