Do I need Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade or full version?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Argelius, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Argelius

Argelius Junior Member

Sorry for incredibly stupid question, but can't seem to find the answer.

If I am buying Parallels for the first time, I understand I'll also need a copy of windows. I see that two versions of their basic version are available -- Windows 7 Home Premium ($199) and Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade ($119).

I'm guessing that since I don't own an existing copy of Windows, I'll need the more expensive, non-upgrade version.

Is this correct?

Thanks

2. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

you are correct. you can only use an upgrade version to upgrade from windows xp or windows vista to windows 7. since you don't have a copy of windows xp or windows vista you are not eligible to use the upgrade version.

3. Argelius

Argelius Junior Member

Thanks! Even though I was secretly hoping for the cheaper answer...

4. PatrickJ

PatrickJ Member

If you plan on only using Parallels (not bootcamp), get yourself a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium OEM (check out newegg or tigerdirect, etc). ~ $100. OEM software is tied to a specific set of hardware, but if you only use Parallels, you're basically building a hardware agnostic and portable PC that will last you as long as you use Parallels, even through hardware upgrades.

Otherwise get the retail version.

5. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Is it possible for Parallels to change the virtualized hardware in the future so that the OEM version will no longer work?

6. Hondo

Hondo Junior Member

Are you saying that if I already own the OEM version of Win 7 (its only been used for Parallels, never been installed as a stand alone OS) I can use it on another Mac that is running Parallels if I'm not running it thru bootcamp?

7. PatrickJ

PatrickJ Member

Not sure if I follow entirely.. the big difference between retail and OEM (other than packaging) is that you're able to transfer the retail - transfer meaning either to another machine if you replace your PC, or if you decide you want to sell it (both requiring that you stop using it on the original machine - you can only have 1 working copy per license you own).

With OEM, you get the discounted price because you're buying a license that is effectively locked to that particular set of hardware. Retail doesn't have this restriction.

If you are using Parallels, the hardware it emulates - and what Windows runs on - is fixed regardless of what the Mac may be underneath. With the Parallels virtualized hardware never changing (how virtual machines are designed) which is what the Windows licensing is focused on, you'll never have to deal with the transferring that you could only technically do with a retail copy.

Counter this with Bootcamp.. if you run Windows in bootcamp and eventually replace the Mac, the hardware for bootcamp has also correspondingly changed, so by Microsofts terms, you would need to get another copy of Windows.

If you don't know what your long term plans for Windows are (ie: running in Bootcamp may be an option at some point) and you have the cash, get a retail copy of Windows. If you know you're only going to be using Windows inside Parallels, you'll never have to deal with the OEM restrictions, so get the OEM version and save about half the price.

If unsure, get retail. Costs more, but ensures you won't have any issue from MS should you ever need to deal with them.

Either way, you can only run one copy of Windows at a time with only 1 license (regardless of Parallels, Bootcamp, etc).

*lock is a figurative term as you have to call MS after so many activations anyway - it's just an automated system that supplies you with a bunch of #s to enter to bypass online activation. Done it a ton of times.

8. PatrickJ

PatrickJ Member

Reread your question again and this time it made sense.

IE: you've copied your VM to another computer and need to run there. Yes.. as long as you aren't running it on the original computer at the same time. Only 1 running Windows at a time.

MS really won't know and all licensing comes down to honesty pretty much. But I always prefer to cross the I's and dot the T's.. never know when you could have trouble :)

9. Hondo

Hondo Junior Member

OK, thanks for the clarification. I think I get it now :)
    I'm just moving a VM from a laptop to my new iMac. I was all prepared to purpose another OEM product key, but it's nice to know that I didn't have to.