OSX slows down A LOT after P6 installed

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Jeremy Gugenheim, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Jeremy Gugenheim

Jeremy Gugenheim Junior Member

I have a mid 2009 MBP 17", Fully patched OSX 10.6.4, the guest is Win XP SP3.

I have tried to test this fairly carefully. After fitting more RAM (now 8GB), reinstalling OSX (because it had become unusable) and then reinstalling P6 11822 I am almost back to the same position I was with P5. I can hear the Mac disk repetitively rattling away in OSX and apps take 30sec or so to open - the mouse is fully responsive but usually only displays the spinning pizza of doom during these periods when not over the desktop. Then suddenly any clicks or drags I have tried all suddenly get processed and we're back to normal for a few minutes.

Interestingly, after installing P6 I rebooted the VM several times, all was well. I rebooted the Mac several times, all was well. I closed the lid on the Mac, let it sleep, then woke it up. THATS when the problems started. This may have been true with P5 & the first P6 install, but I can't remember. Another thing that is different since sleeping is that before, the Activity Monitor showed down to about 10MB free, after sleeping it now shows about 2GB free. Since I was rebooting a lot I would have thought that the Inactive RAM would have been returned to the pool. I realise this last bit is a little wooly, but I thought I'd mention it.

Also after waking, the bluetooth mouse wouldn't connect. I had to tell it to connect from the menu at which point it did immediately.

I notice quite a few people on the web with MBP are saying they have particular performance problems; is this a model specific thing & should I perhaps give up before wasting more days on this?

Thanks

Jeremy

2. STim

STim Bit poster

Jeremy,

I have sent a link to this thread to our performance experts, they will visit it shortly. Meanwhile, can you please generate a problem report while your VM is running (Help->Report a problem menu->Send) and post here its ID?

3. Jeremy Gugenheim

Report sent as requested.

"Your problem report has been sent to the Parallels Support team with ID 6654879"

When I started the VM, WinXP put up its startup screen and the blue progress bar went left to right 44 times before the desktop appeared!!!!!!

Jeremy

4. dev@parallels.com

dev@parallels.com Parallels Developers

Jeremy, I've emailed you on address specified in problem report.
    This problem is not typical or normal so your help is appreciated.

5. Jeremy Gugenheim

I've replied to your email.