Parallels 6 regresses Quicken scrolling

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Jim Blake, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Jim Blake

Jim Blake Junior Member

I bought Parallels 5 for Mac because it handled scrolling in Quicken much better than VMWare's Fusion. Parallels 6 seems to have regressed and scrolling is now much slower. Is anyone else seeing this and are there any work-arounds?

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Check the Video settings in the configuration. Is the Video memory set to 256 MB? Try turning on or off the Enable 3D acceleration and Vertical sync options.

Check the Optimization settings also.

Make sure the Memory isn't set higher than half your Mac's Memory.

3. Jim Blake

Jim Blake Junior Member

All settings are exactly the same as under Parallels 5. Video Memory 256, 3D and vertical sync both on, tried both 1G and 1.5G on a 4G MacBook pro. None of this seemed to make a difference. I've reinstalled Parallels 5 and the scrolling is back to normal. I only have one Mac. Is there any way to have both v5 and v6 installed on the same machine so I can switch back and forth for further testing?

4. Metrowest

Metrowest Junior Member

Yes -- scrolling is broken in P6!

I chatted with their support about this last night and they claimed to have no other complaints, but I can confirm that in my Windows 7, Windows XP, and Ubuntu VM's scrolling does not work right when in a window in any app. I wish I had never upgraded from V5.

Strangely, under Windows 7 coherence it doesn't seem that bad.

Also, in other ways, my MacBook seems slower under P V6 -- both inside virtual machines and using native mac. But the scrolling is the killer for anyone used to it working like it used to.

Should I wait for a V6 solution or downgrade -- and how do you downgrade since it already updated the files?

5. StephenA

StephenA Member

No other complaints? Mouse scrolling issues are being experienced by many people, there is another thread on it. I also reported it using Help / Report a Problem within Parallels.

6. Jim Blake

Jim Blake Junior Member

Here is a link to a KB article about downgrading. http://kb.parallels.com/en/8913
    Good luck though. Fortunately I backed up my v5 VMs before I did the upgrade so downgrading meant just restoring them. When I try to start one of my upgraded v6 VMs under v5 I get a message that there is no OS installed.

7. Arjan van IJzendoorn

Arjan van IJzendoorn Bit poster

Yes, I have the same problem with scrolling. Inside Visual Studio amongst other programs. It was enough reason for me to go back to version 5 and wait for a fix before trying 6 again.

8. YuriyM

YuriyM Member

Hi Jim,

In which view modes you are experiencing this problem? (Windowed/Full Screen/Coherence/Modality)

9. Arjan van IJzendoorn

Arjan van IJzendoorn Bit poster

I always work in full-screen mode.

10. Metrowest

Metrowest Junior Member

So I installed Build 6.0.11822...

...and the scrolling issue might be marginally improved, but it is still there. Since it worked fine in 5 and everyone is complaining, there must be an easy fix...when Parallels team? Are you having trouble recreating this issue?

11. YuriyM

YuriyM Member

Hi,

the scrolling issue is fixed and will be available in the upcoming update (which is not far off)

12. Jim Blake

Jim Blake Junior Member

How will we find out when this next version is available? Is it announced somewhere?

13. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Check the Parallels Desktop preferences. There's an option that checks for updates once a week. You can also check once a day.

14. Jim Blake

Jim Blake Junior Member

Joevt, I've restored to v5 so that preference just nags me to upgrade to v6. I'm looking for a notification when v6 is updated to fix this scrolling bug.

15. enigma63941

enigma63941 Bit poster

Any way to test this updated version after a trial has expired? I'd rather not put $80 before making sure the scrolling is working smooth again.

16. Michael Salish

Michael Salish Bit poster

Yet another XP user with a mouse problem

PCB design is problematic. Hope the fix is coming quickly.

17. robinj

robinj Bit poster

Scrolling issue

Is scrolling issue fixed yet? I would like to upgrade, but only when problem is fixed.

YuriyM of Parallels Team said issue would be fixed soon.............
    Any idea when that will be Parallels Team?

Robin

18. StephenA

StephenA Member

No, not fixed yet. Not far off.. was 3 weeks ago. Still waiting.

19. YuriyM

YuriyM Member