Parallels 6: prl_boot doesn't start on XP SP3

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MaSc, Sep 14, 2010.

1. MaSc

MaSc Member

since upgrading I'm seeing this in XP SP3:

when trying to start driver manually using device manager I'm getting:

does anyone else have this?

2. MaSc

MaSc Member

resolved by reinstalling parallels tools. odd.

3. CHI-CHIHC

CHI-CHIHC Bit poster

MaSc,

I'm getting the exact same message on a Windows 7 x64 guest VM. Re-install parallels tools do not resolve this issue for me. This doesn't happen in Parallels Desktop 5.

Chi

4. gordon142

gordon142 Junior Member

Same issue here on Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit). Trying to eject USB drives crashes Windows in Parallels 6, and I'm thinking this might be related. I've reinstalled the Tools several times, but it has had no effect.

5. JohannP

JohannP Bit poster

Same with all my virtual machines (Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2003, Windows 7) since upgrade to parallels 6.

Any suggestions??

Thanks
    Hans

6. gordon142

gordon142 Junior Member

OK, looking at the properties for this driver, the description field identifies it as "Boot Camp Helper", so maybe it isn't supposed to load except for Boot Camp partitions?

7. JohannP

JohannP Bit poster

OK. So I have no BootCamp Partition on my Systems, I deleted all registry settings in the VM's which I could find with "prl_boot". The LEGACY... couldn't be deleted, so I let them "alive", but deleted all other. After restarting the VM all works well. Until now, I haven't seen any problems.

Hans

8. brucehobbs

brucehobbs Junior Member

Server 2003 resolution

Reinstalling tools didn't work for me either, but after removing all non-LEGACY registry entries found while searching for prl_boot everything seems OK again.

9. JohannP

JohannP Bit poster

Just now, a new update for Parallels 6 arrived. I installed it, new parallel tools will also be installed in the VM's and oh God, my deleted registry entries are still there again and also the problem. So I can delete the entries again .....

Thanks Parallels!

10. cam815

cam815 Member

I am also getting this error in my Windows 2003 Virtual Machine System Log on startup:
    I've reinstalled Parallels Tools several times.

Anyone facing the same issue?

11. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Hi, all.

Please describe vm type (is it fresh installed, converted, or bootcamp?).
    Also generate a problem report and post it's number here.

Thanks in advance.

12. CHI-CHIHC

CHI-CHIHC Bit poster

Hi Stuw,

Fresh installed Windows 7 Ultimate VM. No bootcamp partition.
    After installed a clean windows 7, simply click on Install Parallels Tools to let the installation finished. Reboot the system and gets event 7026 in the log, The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    prl_boot.

Thanks

13. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Use the "Report a Problem" menu option in the Parallels Desktop help menu as soon as you get the error. When you send the problem report, it will give you a report ID number. Post the number here.

14. ti.to

ti.to Bit poster

Ticket 7020247, old VM with Windows 2003 from previous Parallels, no Bootcamp.

15. jkhademi

jkhademi Bit poster

Yep.
    Just upgraded a running W2K3 from 5.x to 6.x and got that message.
    Has this been resolved yet, or should I generate a ticket?

System is MacPro OSX 10.6.5 (10H542) all updates applied.
    Parallells 6.0.11828 rev 615184

16. NikolaosA

NikolaosA Bit poster

I came across this problem with a client on latest version 6.

I've managed to trace this sercice under the registry and after removing the necessary entries the error did not appear again.

Just go into registry, search for prl_boot and when the service entry comes up delete it.

Then reboot and the error will not come back again. Parallels 6 continued to work as before.

17. jkhademi

jkhademi Bit poster

Nikolaos,
    I've "solved" it as well with probably the same net result using a different technique.

1) Launch a cmd prompt.
    2) Set an environment variable: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    3) From that cmd prompt, launch DeviceManager: devmgmt.msc
    4) Choose: View/ShowHiddenDevices from the menu.
    5) Delete prl_boot device.
    6) Reboot.

Worked on XP and W2K3 as well.

18. ti.to

ti.to Bit poster

Is prl_boot still disabled after updating Parallels Tools? Deleting it from the registry has to be repeated every time Parallels is updated. It would be nice to have a more permanent fix for the problem; of course, it would be even nicer if Parallels would fix the bug :)

19. slylabs13

slylabs13 Bit poster

The latest Parallels Update 6.0.12090.660720 seems to have fixed this for me. That is good too, because Server 2003 does not seem to completely boot when that error pops up until the dialog is dismissed (oh and thanks a lot for one more of a thousand things your OS shouldn't do but does Microsoft).

20. ChingyC

ChingyC Junior Member

Trying to eject USB drives crashes Windows in Parallels 6 used to be my issue but it's solved in the latest updates.[​IMG]