OS/2 guest switched to VirtualBox - Goodbye Parallels

Discussion in 'Other Guest OS Types Discussion' started by mgpws, Jan 5, 2009.

1. mgpws

mgpws Junior Member

This is not directed at Parallels as a knock but to the OS/2 users. I got tired of waiting for Parallels to keep up to date with Linux distributions. Also, tech support was not good. Recently, I installed OpenSuse 11.1 and downloaded VirtualBox 2.1 (it comes with 11.1 but there is also a free one for download with more options). I installed OS/2 4.52 and Ecomstation 2.0RC6 without a hitch.To my amazement they ran noticeably faster than under Parallels. But to be honest, previous releases of VB and ECS had problems. When I did find a problem I reported it and it was fixed within 45 days. VirtualBox is updated about once a month. Again, this is not meant as a "ding" against Parallels, I gave them about 2 years of support and wish them the best since competition is a good thing. But for those of you who can't get issues resolved, and run OS/2 I just wanted you to know about the option. Goodbye Parallels, thanks for supporting OS/2.

2. m.campagnoli

m.campagnoli Bit poster

Can you confirm it works also with ECS ? As far as I know only Parallels worked with ECS, VBOX used to crash during boot with some resource.sys something trap error message.

3. Scrutch2001

Scrutch2001 Junior Member

eCS 2.0 GA works with Parallels and with VBox.

I use both Parallels and VBox to run eCS, and I find 2.0 GA works find on both. When I upgraded to Parallels V6 on my Macbook, I did a clean installation of eCS 2.0, an everything worked fine with no problems. The only drawback is the lack of guest/host mouse integration, but that applies to VBox as well.