1. Jon Donshik

Jon Donshik Bit poster

Running W7x32 on a VM with 3 processors and 2GB of Ram on a four core 2.66 Mac Pro (2006) with 8GB ram.

I cannot use the VM for more than about 2 min before it locks up and I must forcibly restart. I have two submitted problem reports-- PID 6673727 and PID 6677992.

This VM was taken from my office iMac (2008) and copied to my Mac Pro. I copied the v5 virtual machine from the office to the Mac Pro at home, and let PD6 (on Mac Pro) do whatever conversion process is necessary. This VM appears to work fine in the office iMac after conversion from v5 to v6.

Perhaps there is a problem with Mac Pro 2006 and PD6? Running OS 10.6.4. Everything is up to date. Just reinstalled OS about 4 weeks ago.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

2. Jon Donshik

Jon Donshik Bit poster

In light of the fact that I GENERATED and SUBMITTED to Problem IDs, I was hoping that I would get a response. My PD6 is unusable at present.

I have been a Parallels user from the inception, but I cannot use a product/speak highly of a product that does not allow me more than 2 minutes in my VM prior to locking up.

Jon

3. Jon Donshik

Jon Donshik Bit poster

I tried to use the VM again. I was able to navigate to microsoft.Com after a cold start. System locked up. New problem ID submitted--6695010.

As a loyal Parallels user from the inception of PD, I would hope that at least a response, such as "We acknowledge the problem IDs you have submitted. We are working on them." would be nice to hear.

Can someone please help??

Jon

4. Jon Donshik

Jon Donshik Bit poster

Now, I was able to begin downloading a program. It worked for about 4 minutes, before crashing again. This time, BSOD. Help, please!!

New PID 6695101

5. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Switch your virtual hard disk from SATA to IDE? Remove hardware from virtual configuration that you don't use (USB, floppy) ? Is it the network adapters - try removing all network adapters from the configuration and see if that helps?

6. Jon Donshik

Jon Donshik Bit poster

I will try and experiment. Why would the IDENTICAL VM work flawlessly on the iMac, though?

Jon

7. Jon Donshik

Jon Donshik Bit poster

Drive was always IDE.
    Floppy not connected.
    No other USB peripherals connected.
    Network adapter is default.
    It does have the Intel Pro/1000 which was standard on the MacPro. I remember Parallels saying that they came out with support for this, or something to that effect. Network adapter is the only difference between iMac and MacPro that I can think of (yes processors are different, but both are Intel)

Jon

8. Jon Donshik

Jon Donshik Bit poster

The only modification that I made was to go from A 3 core VM (of 4 on machine) down to two. Used Internet successfully several times. VM hasn't locked up yet...

Perhaps the multi-core aspect of the VM is causing the problem. Interestingly, this same VM was only allocated one core on my iMac (it is a dual-core processor)

Jon