3D Game Audio severely delayed in Parallels 6

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by gr8bluesgtr, Sep 17, 2010.

1. gr8bluesgtr

gr8bluesgtr Bit poster

I've been playing Battlefield 2 happily for months under Parallels 5 with no major issues, then I buy an upgrade to 6 and not only did the game performance get slightly worse, the audio is significantly delayed, sometimes by up to a second when firing a weapon in the game.

Has anyone else noticed a degredation in gaming performance after upgrading?

BTW I a running Window 7 from the Boot Camp partition.

2. JulianY

JulianY Bit poster

Yes, I have the same problem while I am playing FFXI. This happened after my upgrade to Parallels 6.

3. Ainze

Ainze Bit poster

Same problem with Tomb Raider Anniversary under WinXP!!!

Also different problem with Simpsons Hit and Run just being jerky, not smooth gameplay.

4. gr8bluesgtr

gr8bluesgtr Bit poster

It appears to be an intermittent problem, because yesterday it was not happening at all. I haven't figured out if it's related to any other programs running.

5. KonstantinO

KonstantinO Parallels Developers

Hello, can you create and send problem report (Help -> Report a Problem) to us (aftrer sound delay happend) and post its number here ?

6. JulianY

JulianY Bit poster

I have submitted support ticket (Parallels / #995397: Sound distortion). Please take a look. Thank you.

7. aa.

aa. Member

Do you mean you have the same problem with sound or with slow 3D performance? Or both?

The same question.

Thank you!

8. JulianY

JulianY Bit poster

I have problem with both sound and slow 3D performance. But, I was under the impression that the slow 3D was casued by the buffer underrun on the sound device. Here is the snapshot from the log:

09-18 12:03:42.928 W /LocalDevices:58439:c737/ [CSoundOutputDevice] Buffer underrun, silence 49 of 64 frames
    09-18 12:03:43.041 W /LocalDevices:58439:c737/ [CSoundOutputDevice] Buffer underrun, silence 7 of 64 frames

9. KonstantinO

KonstantinO Parallels Developers

This may help to prevent buffer underrun.

set boot flag (VM configuration -> Hardware -> Boot Order -> Boot flags):
    "devices.audio.playback.latency = 100", default value is only 10 (milliseconds)

10. aa.

aa. Member

Thank you for this report. It looks like we found possible reason of such sound delay and it will be fixed in one of the next updates.

But we still can not reproduce 3D performance degradation on Battlefield 2. According to our measurements on MBP:

BattleField 2 / Singleplay / amerbase / Default video settings / 9600GT256 / 10.6.4GrUpd in MacOS / 1024x768
    · PD 5 - 41 FPS when sound is OFF, 36 FPS when sound is ON
    · PD 6 - 70-75 FPS when sound is ON

Could you please run VM with BF2 then generate problem report and tell me ID ? (Help -> Report a Problem)

11. JulianY

JulianY Bit poster

FYI. I still have the same sound issue after setting "devices.audio.playback.latency = 100". Anyway, it is good to hear that it will be fixed in one of the next updates. Looking forward to it. Thank you.

12. Banned

BF2 problem

I have same problem with sound & more glitches and white textures in 3D (on Parallels5 I played with small problems).
    Please give me back BF2. I buyed Parallels only for this game