Parallels Desktop 6 grabs Insert key

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mvcube, Sep 17, 2010.

1. mvcube

mvcube Member

I've Parallels Desktop 6 running and it differs from P5 in that it responds to the Insert key on my USB PC keybord (which is my main Mac keyboard). Insert is sent to the VM but at the same time, the Parallels help window pops up. The insert key is obviously identical to the help key on older Mac keyboards.

I know I can disable this feature in the Parallels keyboard preferences by unchecking "Enable Mac OS system shortcuts" but than I lose Cmd-Tab and Cmd-< too. :(

2. tscrutchin

tscrutchin Bit poster

Problems with new handling of Insert Key

One of my applications, Vista TN3270 Emulator from Tom Brennan Software is not behaving properly with Parallels 6. In parallels 5 and before, pressing the Insert key on my logitech G11 keyboard would toggle the insert mode in the emulator. Now, it turns insert on if it is not on, but does not turn it off.

Someone from Parallels, could you make it work more like it did? I thought it worked perfectly before. This was not a good idea.

3. mvcube

mvcube Member

I have filed a problem report: ID 6769737. Let's see what happens.

4. sj314

sj314 Bit poster

Go to Parallels preferences
    Keyboard
    uncheck Enable Mac OSX system Shortcuts

5. mvcube

mvcube Member

sj314,

I know I can disable ALL keyboard shortcuts but that disables cmd-Tab and cmd-< also which I use regularly. The behavious was introduced with P6 and did not happen before. Why?

6. DanielSW

DanielSW Bit poster

Me too

Count me in as another user affected by this. I use the insert key frequently with a terminal program, and popping up Parallels Desktop Help is annoying. I do like the other Mac keys being active (Cmd-Tab).

Perhaps there is a way to disable the insert key action on the Mac side, but I couldn't find it.

I've resorted to just dragging the help window to the bottom of the screen and leaving it open.

7. mvcube

mvcube Member

Issue probably solved with build 11994

I'm still testing but it seems that the latest update - build 11994 - has solved my problem.