will Parallels work on Mac Air?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by EugeniaB, Mar 4, 2010.

1. EugeniaB

EugeniaB Bit poster

Hello!
    I need to install Parallels on Mac Air and to operate windows working application...
    Will all this programmes work together?

Thank you fo any information in advance.

2. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi EugeniaB,
    yes, you can install Parallels Desktop 5 on MacBook Air. Please check system requirements, just for the record.

3. EugeniaB

EugeniaB Bit poster

Thank you,
    Mac Air is ok for Parallels system req.
    But i mean will it really work: Mac os+Parallels+windows+application?
    Mac Air is very slow sometimes even working with 2-3 of his own applications.

4. I-che

I-che Pro

EugeniaB,
    it should be ok. What kind of applications are you planning to run in virtual machine? You can use trial version of Parallels Desktop 5 for 14 days and evaluate the product:
    http://www.parallels.com/download/desktop/

5. EugeniaB

EugeniaB Bit poster

i will use special application for web-site editing.
    thank you, i will try trial version.

6. renato_nyc

renato_nyc Bit poster

Eugenia,
    I use it on the orginal Mac Air with 2 GB of RAM and 64 GB of SSD, which is slower than the 2nd generation MBA. Parallels 4 and prior used to be quite slow. Version 5 now is much better. I have my settings set to optimize for OS X performance and not for Windows app performance. I dedicate only 1 CPU, 512 of RAM and 128 of video memory.
    I run only a few apps on it such as some special IM software I need for work and MS project or Visio. Hope this helps.

7. Jus

Jus Bit poster

Faced with frequent lags

I am trying to run it on a Macbook Air. I remember version 3.0 had no real issues but after upgrading to 5.0 (required for snow leopard) I get long lags between every operation, especially if it involves using the disk. It is so bad the system is not usable (5-30 seconds between mouse clicks just to get a context menu, for example). Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how it was resolved.

8. Rockey

Rockey Bit poster

Parallels performace unbearably bad on 5 / air after upgrade

On my Air, Version 4 was fine for me, but when I upgraded to 5 earlier this year performance has been horrible. The upgrade to Parallels 5 was needed when I upgraded my Air to snow leopard and parallels 4 does not work on snow leopard. Not only does Paralells run slow, but so do my mac applications when parallels is running.

9. Jus

Jus Bit poster

This is exactly what I experienced except in my case it was 3 to 5 upgrade, for the same reason. I recently got version 6 since I bought my 5 upgrade within the grace period. No improvement for me.

10. dev@parallels.com

dev@parallels.com Parallels Developers

Jus (or Rockey), can you help me to resolve what's wrong on your MacAir with PD6?
    You can contact me via email in my profile and will need skype for screen sharing. Would appreciate your help.