Using Transporter / Parallels 6

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by garyhow, Sep 21, 2010.

1. garyhow

garyhow Bit poster

I'm getting ready to hit the button to purchase a new IMAC and Parallels 6 for the MAC. If I understand the Parallels Transporter Utility, I can connect the MAC to my HP PC and everything will be moved from the HP to the Parallels Virtual machine on the MAC.

If I do this, then I shouldn't have to purchase a separate copy of the Windows OS. If I'm mistaken in my understanding of how the Transporter Utility works, then I'll have to purchase a full copy of Windows, since my PC was not delivered with a set of Windows OS disks. Windows was pre-installed and all I'm allowed to do is make a set of restore disks for the HP.

Also, Once the Transporter Utility is run, and all of my software has been transported to the MAC, I assume I can disconnect the cable and simply run everything from the MAC going forward.....

Am I correct in my assumptions, or not?

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

You are correct. However, if your Windows OS has an OEM licence, then I think you are not allowed to use it on different hardware which includes virtual hardware on different physical hardware (and maybe even virtual hardware on the same physical hardware)
    http://kb.parallels.com/5129

I think you can still use Transporter with an OEM installation, but you may need to activate Windows with a newly purchased activation key.

3. Michael Aronis

Michael Aronis Junior Member

That's an interesting question.

I have modified systems which came preinstalled including new video cards and new processors and never had an issue running windows!? Just which piece of hardware get's linked to the Windows installation?

I bet you'll have no problem as long as you type in the access key correctly from the old box!

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven