Font sizes differs between xp and mac??

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by swlee99, Feb 1, 2007.

1. swlee99

swlee99 Bit poster

Hi:

I have a question see if you guys come across or not,
    I just finished pulling my old windows xp image using transporter feature, and made it working on my mac. However, the files(Word, Excel..) I opened in windows showed much bigger than it shown in mac, same thing, when I resize the file fonts to what I acceptable in windows, I found it became extremely small when opened using Mac version tools.
    I worried about the compatibility issues between windows and mac?
    Anybody knows any workaround?

Thanks

2. NMistry73

NMistry73 Bit poster

The easiest thing would be for you to change the zoom setting under word / excel.

I think the problem stems from the difference in the PPI (or dpi) setting in the os for the display. By default windows uses 72dpi, and mac uses 100, or 96 i believe... Its pretty easy to change and see if it helps..

Under windows, Increasing it from the default of 72 will make your fonts bigger, and closer to what the size should be... A quick way to test if you need to increase your DPI is to fire up word. Make sure your ZOOM is set to 100% and type some text with a font that is a size of 72 points. 72 points = 1 inch, so you can measure the height of the text and it should be close to an inch. If it is too small then increase your dpi under windows.

This setting is changed by clicking on the Advanced button under the display preferences in windows (where you set your screen resolution). Its under one of the tabs, i just forget the name right now.

Again, Under mac, i believe the dpi is set by default by apple... 100dpi or 96 .. i spend 5 mins on google and i basically couldnt get a straight answer.

Give it a shot and let me know what you find out.

3. swlee99

swlee99 Bit poster

Thanks so much.

Yes, the DPI setting changes in windows made the difference , now everything is back to normal as acceptable ,

Thanks Again