Parallels 6 on 2010 MBPro with Windows 7??

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jonathan_david, Sep 23, 2010.

1. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

Is anyone running this configuration?

Any tips or tricks if I can't get this combination to work like I am assuming it must?

Thanks.

-

| macbookpro | intel 2.53 ghz core 2 duo 4gb, nvidia geforce 9400m, OSX 10.6.3 with Win7 via Parallels 6

2. Pelican18TQA4

Pelican18TQA4 Bit poster

I too have a late '10 MBP (17" 2.8GHz) and I'm running P6 with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit without any issues. Well, save for one. The network connection keeps randomly dropping for some reason, even though I have the latest build of P6. The fix has been disable and then re-enable the network adapter in W7.

3. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

Hi. Thanks very much.

Can I please ask you for the correct startup and shutdown procedure?

For instance, is there a correct way to shut down Parallels and or Windows? Am I correct in saying that I can put my MBP to /sleep/ without doing anything to Parallels or Windows but that I cannot /shutdown/ my MBP without doing something to Parallels or Windows first? Is it a two-step procedure to shutdown Parallels?

Also, on startup are you able to start windows software (say from the dock) prior to starting Parallels, or is it necessary to first start the Parallels icon before starting the Windows software? Does this depend on the software you are running?

How long does Parallels take to start and get an open and working Windows environment for you?

Can I ask you if you are running any CAD or 3D software on your machine?

Are you able to get Parallels to open in windows mode at all times or does it sometimes open in coherence mode?

Thanks!

4. Pelican18TQA4

Pelican18TQA4 Bit poster

I have always suspended the virtual machine before quitting Parallels. In my experience, that seems to have the best result.

I have never put my MBP to sleep without first either shutting down the virtual machine or suspending it so I can't say for sure what happens when you put your MBP to sleep without first doing something with Parallels.

I believe you can start Windows applications directly in OS X without first starting Parallels, but I don't do that.

Using the suspending method I mentioned previously, starting Windows takes maybe 15-20 seconds. On my i7 iMac, it only takes maybe 10 seconds at the most.

Nope, no CAD or 3D software.

I do not like Coherence mode at all so I have the Parallels preference set to open in window mode.

5. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

Hi. So you go to the little power icon in the bottom left corner and go to Suspend? Then you go to the Parallels pulldown and go to Quit? Or do you do this differently?

Then on startup do you just click on the Parallels icon and it starts up?

Do you do the same procedure prior to Shutting Down your MPB and prior to putting it to Sleep.

Can you explain your procedure a little so I can recreate it? I've never understood why I am suspending or shutting down.

Can you give me an idea of how long it takes to start up your virtual machine once you have shut it down? (I'm correct in thinking that the 15 - 20 seconds is for getting the virtual machine started once you have Suspended it...?)

Thanks.

6. Pelican18TQA4

Pelican18TQA4 Bit poster

Let me clarify.

Let's assume the virtual machine is already running. To shut down the virtual machine, I will click the "power" button in the lower-lefthand corner and then click suspend. Once the VM is suspended (you will see it countdown, just like you do when you are starting the VM) I then quit Parallels if I'm done using it (Command+Q or select Quit from the Parallels menu). To resume using the VM, I start Parallels and then click on the VM window where it says "click to resume" or something similar. There may be a way to automatically start a suspended and/or shut down VM once you start Parallels, but I haven't explored that possibility. I have never left the VM running when I shutdown my MBP or put it to sleep, so I do not know how Parallels handles that.

As for why you would suspend the VM, I think it's mainly done for speedy startup and shutdown of the VM. Suspending the VM avoids having to go through the VM boot-up and/or shutdown procedures and is therefore very quick. I just tested this on my i7 iMac and it took 8 seconds to resume a suspended Windows 7 Professional 64-bit VM and it took 6 seconds to suspend the running VM. Contrast that with 15 seconds to shutdown the same running VM and then 39 seconds to start it up after being shutdown. Though there may be other (perhaps better) reasons to suspend the VM versus shutting it down, I do it only because of the significantly less time it takes to suspend and then resume the VM. The times are even more drastically different on my MBP which is obviously at a disadvantage to my quad-core iMac.