Build 3150 + Garmin GPSMap 60C == Success!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by stjeanp, Feb 1, 2007.

1. stjeanp

stjeanp Bit poster

I just installed 3150 and plugged my GPSMap 60C in. It's recognized and I am able to upload AND download all data including maps, waypoints, tracks, and routes successfully.

Here's the nitty gritty:

GPSMap 60C - Firmware 4.10
    MapSource - MetroGuide North America 6.11.3
    Garmin USB Drivers - 2.1.0.0
    Parallels - Build 3150
    Windows XP SP2
    MacBook Pro (Core Duo) 17"

Here's a huge thank you to the Parallels team. I can now shut down the Windows box for good.

You all rock!!!!!!

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I'm not able to sync my Treo 600 phone in Windows - it has aways worked in OS X and still does, and Windows does see the phone, but never makes the connection over USB. All the Mac transport monitor/hotsync apps are off. I don't really care because I wouldn't sync in Windows, but it is still something that's not working.

3. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

Try to do this to work with you Treo 600 phone in Windowsr:

1. Disable any OS X Palm HotSync
    2. Enable USB auto-connect for the Parallels VM
    3. Start the VM.
    4. Be sure Windows HotSync is set for USB
    5. Run HotSync on Palm through Cradle/Cable
    6. Enable "Palm Handheld" in the VM USB list (toolbar or menu)
    7. Disable Palm HotSync - press Cancel buton
    8. Press HotSync button on Palm USB connector - HotSync starts in a few seconds.

4. kperry7505

kperry7505 Member

Palm HotSync and USB auto-connect

This technique also works with my Tungsten T3, but with the VMs auto-connect turned OFF. After doing this, the HotSync starts on subsequent attempts even without having to select the handheld in the VM USB list, as if auto connect was turned on. My T3 also successfully perfoms a HotSync with auto-connect turned enabled.

I wish PD would allow me to sync with auto-connect turned off. That way I could sync in both Windows (for Windows only conduits) by selecting the T3 in the USB list, and in the Mac side by not selecting it. Now I have to completely shut down the VM to sync on the Mac side.

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

USB is not an option even though I request USB support when installing the Palm software. During the Palm WinDesktop install it asks to press the hotsync button - at this time the Windows hardware monitor pops up and wants to install drivers for the the Palm which it seems to do, but then the Palm software never sees it. I'll try it again with auto-connect enabled.

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

There are lots of reasons to leave auto-connect off if OS X is your primary OS.

7. Bateau

Bateau Bit poster

Garmin GPSMap 76C works perfectly with RC2. What's more, my Windows Mobile phone can now connect via ActiveSync and share GPRS data connection with Windows thru parallels.

8. jocamero

jocamero Bit poster

My Garmin 60C is finally working great with version 3150. Thanks guys.

9. dan20164

dan20164 Junior Member

jocamero - what type of Mac are you using ? I have been fighting for several months now trying to get my 60C running on my 24 " iMac..

10. jocamero

jocamero Bit poster

Dan,

I'm using a 15" MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo).

In past builds the GPS would show up in the Windows XP device manager (after it was enabled via Parallels) but there weren't any programs that would detect it. With this latest build (all I did was upgrade Parallels) all those various applications see it and it works just fine.

While this works great I'm trying to make a clean break from windows and can't seem to find an acceptable solution for OS X. The opensource project roadnav looks promising however it doesn't even come close to nRoute or Microsoft's Streets and Trips. Anyone have any suggestions?

11. mvk

mvk Member

Garmin

My Garmin Edge 305 finally works in Parallels - which is still better than using the new Mac version with Motionbased.com has better Windows integration.

12. dan20164

dan20164 Junior Member

Thanks jocamero, I appreciate your feedback. I am continuing to see this behavior, and am now wondering if it is a hw difference between the MBP and the iMac.. Guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed... I have retired my Linux box, and now am trying to get rid of the remaining Dell running XP...

Dan

13. eduo

eduo Bit poster

A friend of mine is trying to connect his GPSMap 60c in the same manner and asked for help, but I have an eTrex Vista that I have always been able to use with Parallels (Serial-USB-SerialClient).

I don't know how the GPSMap 60c may differ from mine. So I have some questions before I keep trying to help him:

1.-Does the GPSMap have connection settings that need to be in a specific configuration for use with Garmin's Software (MapSource, Navigator, etc.) and other programs like OziExplorer? (I'm guessing it has the standard "Garmin Protocol for Garmin products, NMEA for everything else", but I could be wrong).

2.-Does the GPS need to be "enabled for use" in Parallels or should it be picked up automatically upon connection (with 3150, of course)?

3.-Any specific order in which the connection works better? (sometimes pluggins before launching Parallels precludes proper communications)

4.-Anything else I may need to be aware of (for example, a lot of posts like this have obviated the need for SerialClient, which I found about by sheer luck but was crucial for my needs).

Some of these may seem obvious, but I ask from the office and I'm helping my friend through e-mail, so I don't have visibility to some of the options right now.

Thanks in advance

Eduo

14. xinu

xinu Bit poster

My Garmin Rino 530 GPS is not recognized by Mapsource. It is visible as a Gramin USB device.

15. stjeanp

stjeanp Bit poster

I didn't change anything from the standard, default settings. I had to do a hard reset a couple months ago and never tweaked anything after that. So, defaults should be good.

I had already installed the Mapsource software and USB drivers when I was testing it on a previous version so all I did was start Parallels, start XP, and plug in the GPS.

Not as far as I can see. It just worked when I tried it... :)

Pat

16. dan20164

dan20164 Junior Member

My 60C finally works with build 3170 !!!! Many thanks to the Parallels team..