Parallels 6 and Acronis Nonstop Backup Service don't play nice together

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by gordon142, Sep 16, 2010.

1. gordon142

gordon142 Junior Member

Acronis True Image Home installs a Windows service called "Acronis Nonstop Backup Service", used for a feature of the same name. When this service is started, it seems to interfere with USB drive unmounting in Parallels 6. Specifically, if one uses the "safely remove hardware" feature in Windows (Windows 7 32-bit) in this case, the drive gets stuck in some sort of limbo. It still appears in Windows, but can no longer be accessed. It will not be accessible again until the system is restarted. When restarting, Windows 7 will hang forever.

The solution to this seems to be to disable the nonstop backup service (which fortunately does not affect other features of True Image aside from nonstop backup).

I'm not sure who is more at fault here, but True Image works just fine in VMware Fusion 3.1, so I hope someone will look into this. I wasted a lot of time tracking this down.

2. gordon142

gordon142 Junior Member

And… it appears I spoke too soon. Disabling the nonstop backup process only fixes the problem until you launch the True Image application (it doesn't restart the process, but it does cause the problem to occur again). So, I'm back to not being able to use the two programs together.

3. phonetrouble

phonetrouble Bit poster

acronis

When I launch Acronis backup, the system stalls.

I have a macbook pro 4 gb ram, 2.53mhz machine. When I ran Acronis on my old 1.6ghz machine in windows, it ran fine.
    I waited for 30 minutes for Acronis to change screens.

I have my virtual machine set up with dual processors, 2gb ram. That should be plenty.

There is nothing else running on the Mac side to slow anything down.
    Task manager, shows both processors maxed out for the entire time Acronis is running.
    Any ideas people?

4. gordon142

gordon142 Junior Member

As the original poster here, I've concluded that the issue I've described is probably just a side effect of a bug in the current version of Parallels. You can see my other topic about it at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=104527 . Basically, Parallels 6 seems to have some major issues with USB drives. Certain actions seem to cause them to go haywire. For me, I've had to give up using Acronis in Parallels until these bugs get fixed. Very annoying.