Parallels Desktop dont creates network adapter in MAC

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by franciscod, Sep 30, 2010.

1. franciscod

franciscod Bit poster

hello
    i have downloaded parllels desktop MAC for evaluating and purchase because unique software allows to autocad to work properly virtualized.
    I have installed and created windows xp machine and autocad also and all was OK ,
    BUT
    installation ( many tryes! ) , dont create network adapters on mac and it is imposible to connect to network (internet ) the virtual machine.
    we did decens of tries and imposible!
    ever same advices initiating virtual machine :
    1 One or more of the componentes of your Kernel were for a previous parallels version. Try to initiate...or not
    2 If initiate , second message : cant initiate network adapter 1, test if network adapter 0 is present in your MAC. But no adapters created by parallels on my MAC in none of installations made.
    SO
    network imporsible to work and imposible to update virtual machine, etc....

have snow leopard uptodate.

How can we try to install properly? and evaluate 100%?
    We need to purchase many licenses for our architecture office, but need to evaluate correctly.

many Thanks

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,

Please reproduce the problem and send a problem report using menu Help -> "Report a Problem" (it is not necessary to provide description), then post its ID here

3. aidan

aidan Member

I had exactly that. All the XP machines that I upgraded that didn't have tools installed on before I upgraded lost the ability to see or select the correct driver for the NICs. I tried adding (and re-adding) Parallels tools, but no help. I could see the unrecognised devices in the Windows device manager, but even uninstalling them and then trying to either select the correct driver or re-installing Parallels tools did not work.

I fixed it by deleting the network card from the hardware setup screen and re adding a new one (having copied the MAC address and pasting it into the new card address - You will need to do this if the IP address is bound to the MAC address in your DHCP server).

Once I had re-added the same network card, Parallels tools could now see it and selected the right driver automatically.

I didn't have Parallels tools installed before because I was on Parallels 4 and tools just made my Mac crash if I let Parallels running for more than 24 hours.

4. RSD

RSD Bit poster

We have a basic network of 6 PC machines running windows XP want to replace one of the PC's with a Mac running windows and the files with their structure intact. Is this possible or are we fooling ourselves?

5. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

It's possible. You just need to migrate the PC hard disk to Parallels. If you can move or connect the hard disk itself to the Mac (internally in a Mac Pro, or using a USB or FireWire disk enclosure), then you can use the disk directly using the Boot Camp option or you can migrate from Boot Camp to a virtual hard disk so you put the hard disk back into the original PC:
    http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v6/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23112.htm

Or you can migrate the data over the network using Parallels Transporter:
    http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v6/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/27209.htm

If you want the Mac to boot into Windows without using Parallels, then you'll need to clone the original PC installation onto a Boot Camp partition on the Mac (use Boot Camp Assistant to create the partition, then some other utility to clone the partition), then update the drivers (using the Boot Camp drivers on the Mac OS X installer DVD). You may need to do a repair or whatever like you would need when doing the same between two different PC models. Once you get the Boot Camp partition bootable and useable on the Mac, then you can use Parallels to create a virtual machine that uses the Boot Camp partition. You can then use the virtual machine while booted into Mac OS X.

6. RSD

RSD Bit poster

I think I found a solution. I tried partitioning my imac internal drive into 2, leaving the existing and the 2nd formatted with FAT32. I then set up file sharing and added network connections on each of the Windows XP computers. I tried it and so far there were able to see and open files without them being read only.

7. RSD

RSD Bit poster

... another thing.. I think my solution might be the best since I'm just using Parallels so I can run Autocad, that way I don't need to run Parallels all the time. right?