Ubuntu 10.10 Studio beta & Tools fail

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Tony Linde, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Tony Linde

Tony Linde Member

Hi, has anyone got VM Tools to install under Ubuntu 10.10 beta? Is it easy? (I'm not Linux expert so will pass if too complex to get it working and wait until it is supported.)

Thanks,
    Tony.

(later) have attached log file

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  2. ludemann@gmail.com

ludemann@gmail.com Bit poster

Have the same problem. Was easy in 10.04 but doesn't work in 10.10.

3. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Parallels Tools needs to be updated every time there's a new kernel or xorg version.

4. Tony Linde

Tony Linde Member

Thanks, joevt. Guess we just have to wait. 10.04 installed ok so will play with that.

t.

5. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

The Parallels Tools that comes with Parallels Desktop 6 works with some newer Linux's but not Ubuntu 10.10 beta. I get a compile error at /prl_fs/file.c:389 while installing Parallels Tools.

6. schuhmab

schuhmab Bit poster

If you change simple_sync_file to noop_fsync in line 389 in file.c, the prl_fs module builds fine.

The problem with the user space tools is that they're prebuilt only and there's no version included for xorg 1.9 used in ubuntu 10.10.

7. kurtinatlanta

kurtinatlanta Bit poster

Any word from Paralles when this will be fixed? I have a dead VM until it is.

8. ZoltanF

ZoltanF Bit poster

I was not even able to get a console after updating to 10.10.
    Started an Ubuntu live system and mounted my vm harddisk and replaced myvmhdd/etc/X11/xorg.conf with the failsafe template xorg.conf.failsafe. This is only a simple vesa driver, but at least I can use my vm again.

As schumab says it is about a missing binary for xorg 1.9 in Parallels tools. Please see also Parallels Tools xorg 1.9

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  9. Pedro Lucas Farinha

Pedro Lucas Farinha Bit poster

The truth is when I try to install Parallels Tools on a new Linux distro, I have to get through a lot of workarounds. I'm a happy Parallels customer, but I feel these things should be better looked at.