Can one downgrade from 6 to 5 again?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by NeilS, Sep 24, 2010.

1. NeilS

NeilS Bit poster

I bought Desktop 5 a couple of months ago - got it running, mostly pretty smooth. Then it upgraded to 6 for me, and things have been far less smooth. I had WinXP in a BootCamp partition, which is what I'm using with Parallels - and it worked pretty well with 5, but it keeps "loosing" the partition and naming a new one on me.

Anyone else facing the same issue?

2. Bruce McTavish

Bruce McTavish Bit poster

Similar story, but using Windows 7. used Parallels Desktop V5 fine for a couple months. Upgraded to V6, and have not been able to start my Windows 7 VM yet: I get a 'fatal error' message. Mac still runs fine, but no Windows. Have started trouble ticket with Parallels, do I uninstall and reinstall V6? uninstall and reinstall V5? parallels is a cool tool!

3. NeilS

NeilS Bit poster

4. DiegoD

DiegoD Bit poster

5. Statman

Statman Member

Well what I did was to reinstall Parallels 5 without removing Parallels 6. Then started Parallels 5 to make sure it worked and then I trashed Parallels 6. It worked fine for me. The problem I was having with 6 was just performance....my entire machine slowed down to the point it was unusable.

6. DiegoD

DiegoD Bit poster

I have the same problem with the performance.
    In Parallels 6, when i switch between the VM and OSX, it was very slow.
    I downgraded to version 5 and now I doesn't have problems with the performance.