1. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

I'm told by someone who looked at my system that I have both hdd0 & hdd1 virtual machines. I don't see any sign of having multiple virtual machines.

How do I find these two machines, and how would I eliminate or dismount the one I'm not using?

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Virtual machines are files or folders that end with the following suffixes:

Parallels Desktop virtual machine file has the .pvm extension.
    Parallels Desktop 3 and earlier virtual machine file has the .pvs extension.
    VMware virtual machine file has the .vmx extension.
    Virtual PC virtual machine file has the .vmc extension.
    VirtualBox virtual machine file has the .xml extension.

You can do a search by File Name for any of the above extensions in the Finder.

In Parallels Desktop, go to the Window menu, select Show Virtual Machine List. How many virtual machines do you see there? You can add virtual machines from the Finder to the Virtual Machine List using Drag and Drop if they don't already exist in the list. you can find where a virtual machine in the list is stored by right clicking the virtual machine in the list window and selecting "Show in Finder". You can right click a virtual machine in the Virtual Machine List and select "Remove", then "Move to Trash". If the virtual machine is not in the window then you can move it to the trash in the Finder. Virtual machines are not permanently deleted until after you empty the trash.

To remove a .hdd from a virtual machine in Parallels Desktop, go to Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Hardware. Select the hard disk you want to remove, then click the [-] button in the window. Virtual Hard Disks are usually stored inside .pvm virtual machines as .hdd files. Right click a .pvm in the Finder and select "Show Package Contents" to see inside.

3. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

Show virtual machine shows one virtual machine, "Microsoft Windows XP.pvm". But I did find a 2nd hard disk that doesn't appear to have any space, nor any icon. Selecting (-) then OK didn't seem to do anything. It had the same winxp.hdd name as the working disk.

I can only find one .pvm file. When I show package, I see it contains (among other things), the following files:

~/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP.pvm > ls -l
    total 1638504
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 HBrazee HBrazee 0 Jan 16 2010 Agent
    drwxr-xr-x@ 39 HBrazee HBrazee 1326 Oct 10 19:13 Applications Menu.localized
    drwxr-xr-x 5 HBrazee HBrazee 170 Sep 29 20:03 Snapshots
    -rwxr--r-- 1 HBrazee HBrazee 121 Sep 29 20:03 Snapshots.xml
    drwxr-xr-x 162 HBrazee HBrazee 5508 Sep 29 18:59 Windows Applications
    drwxr-xr-x 4 HBrazee HBrazee 136 Oct 8 14:43 Windows Disks
    -rwxr--r--@ 1 HBrazee HBrazee 14715 Oct 10 19:44 config.pvs
    -rwxr--r-- 1 HBrazee HBrazee 14715 Oct 10 19:44 config.pvs.backup
    -rwxrw-rw- 1 HBrazee HBrazee 32042569 Oct 10 19:44 parallels.log
    -rwxr--r-- 1 HBrazee HBrazee 1474560 Jan 16 2008 unattended.fdd
    drwxr-xr-x@ 7 HBrazee HBrazee 238 Oct 10 19:13 winxp.hdd
    -rwxr--r-- 1 HBrazee HBrazee 15392 Dec 22 2009 winxp.hdd.drh
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 HBrazee HBrazee 805306368 Oct 10 19:52 {f2da7186-a721-4c57-92dd-0da3aeb4950a}.mem
    ~/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP.pvm >

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Clicking the - button in the hardware list is supposed to remove that piece of hardware from the virtual machine. If you're removing a hard disk then it asks you if you want to Move To Trash. If you click yes, then the .hdd that was in the .pvm is moved to the trash. Otherwise it is left where it is.

5. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

It never asked me anything. I wonder if that's because it is a phantom empty drive. Is there a file in my package that it sees? Could I copy my real virtual drive to let it see that instead so I can delete it?

6. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

Could the problem be that I don't have administrative privilege for my account?

7. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

My bad. I needed to get all of the way out of my VM in order to delete the phantom drive. With my opening to full screen, and closing when I close Windows, that didn't happen automatically.

Problem is solved.

8. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

"It never asked me anything." - Did the [-] button at least remove the Hard Disk device from the Hardware device list? Devices can't be removed while the virtual machine is running.

"Phantom empty drive" and "real virtual drive" don't have much meaning. Maybe you should post some screen shots.

"doesn't appear to have any space, nor any icon" - What kind of space or icon are you expecting/looking at?

"It had the same winxp.hdd name as the working disk" - Two files can't have the same name unless they're in different folders. Where are you finding this stuff?

You're first post wasn't very clear either. "both hdd0 & hdd1 virtual machines" didn't make any sense. hdd is for virtual hard disk. Virtual machines have a .pvm extension. Who was this person that looked at your system and why can't you ask him what he was talking about?

"Could I copy my real virtual drive to let it see that instead so I can delete it?" - I don't think so. What is it you think you're trying to delete and why?

9. skechers

skechers Bit poster