Can't burn CD's in XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dpxpoz, Feb 2, 2007.

1. dpxpoz

dpxpoz Junior Member

I put in a CD and I keep getting a message window saying "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function."
    I have set the defaults for it in the property page and have switched IDE ports but no go. Next dumb question: Doesn't XP have it's own CD/DVD burning app installed or do I have to get something like Roxio for it?

2. mmika

mmika Pro

3. palter

palter Hunter

Which build of Parallels are you using? The released version (Build 1970) doesn't support CD burning. The current release candidate does but note that this is still in testing and most certainly contains bugs. Use it at your own risk. (I would strongly advise against using it in production.)

4. dpxpoz

dpxpoz Junior Member

I have Build 1970. Checked out that archive and I don't have a Recording tab either and mine shows up as PRL Virtual CD-ROM. Also, I have Connect at Startup and Enabled checked but no dice. What next?

iMac 20" 2Ghz Core Duo 2GB RAM

Oops. Just noticed you wrote Build 1970 doesn't support burning. So what do I do now?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  5. dpxpoz

dpxpoz Junior Member

Also noticed in the archived thread a Build 3094. Why don't I have that? I just got Parallels in November. Shouldn't I have the latest version?

6. mmika

mmika Pro

dpxpoz, wait a little. New release is comming soon ;) Then you will be able to update to it.
    But you can try RC2.... I think burning is not so important feature. Why do you can't burn CD into OSx?

7. dpxpoz

dpxpoz Junior Member

I can in OS X-I am trying to burn an XP app to put on my brother's computer.
    Here's something else: I tried to copy it to my flash drive since I can't burn a CD but XP is telling me it will copy slow because my USB ports are not 2.0! I looked in my Profiler but can't tell from the technical info if they're 2.0 or not. I can't believe I wouldn't have USB 2.0 ports on my iMac. And it was copying very slooooww...

8. palter

palter Hunter

Don't worry, your Mac has USB 2.0 ports. It's the released build of Parallels that doesn't emulate USB 2.0. Again, the next release, which is in the final stages of testing, does support USB 2.0 as well as CD burning. If you're willing to play with experimental software, see the sticky at the top of this forum (or the banner at the top of this webpage) for instructions on how to get RC2.

9. dpxpoz

dpxpoz Junior Member

OK, thanx for all the help. I think I'll wait. I'm not the type to mess with betas.

10. pjkix

pjkix Bit poster

is there any update on this? it appears with the latest build (3188) i'm still not able to burn cd's from within xp running in parallels on macbook pro. I need to burn from xp because there is no version of picasa for mac and i really want to use the gift cd option for distributing my photos.

are there any plans on supporting this or any update on the current status of cd burning from within parallels. seems like it should be an important feature.

11. mmika

mmika Pro

pjkixm, did you see the link I gave?
    At first, boot your windows with real drive connected!
    Then go to "my computer"->"properties" of a selected disk and enable burning.
    This action enables built-in burning feature.

12. pjkix

pjkix Bit poster

huh what real drive connected? its a macbook pro ... internal drive is always connected. also i don't want to use the windows burning feature i want to use picasa's burning feature. i'll check out the properties but i don't think it will help.

13. pjkix

pjkix Bit poster

ok well setting the properties of the drive for burning seemed to get rid of the error when clicking on the drive with a blank disk in it, but windows file burning didn't seem to do anything at all when i tried burning a single file. it also still does't help with burning from other apps.

14. mmika

mmika Pro

What 3d party software have you used? How this software detects your drive? How windows detects your drive (you can find it into my computer->device manager)?
    If you inserting a blank disc and trying to open it into windows explorer, you will get an error because there is no information.

15. pjkix

pjkix Bit poster

i'm still not having much luck with the following

macbook pro 15" 2ghz core duo
    parallels biuild 3188
    windows xp sp2 + latest updates

parallels setup with cd/dvd options:
    device enabled
    connect at startup
    use cd/dvd rom
    default cd/dvd
    connect to IDE 0:1

windows drive properties:
    enable cd burning

still can't burn from built in windows burning or 3rd party apps such as picasa

16. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

pjkix,

I'm running the same settings with a Mac Pro and have the same problems. If I make sure the CD/DVD is connected at startup and enabled, the XP recording properties are available for the drive and the system seems to think it is a DVD RW drive. However, when I try to drag something to it and write with the XP built-in software - It acts like it is writing, but then I get an error and it says it couldn't write.

Same thing happens with DVD's that I try to burn with CloneDVD.

I just tried burning with Windows Media Player. It also does not work.

I guess we are the only two who have this problem?

For those who will ask:
    Build 3188
    XPSP2 with updates
    Mac Pro 2.66
    OSX 10.4.9

XP device manager reports the drive as a Sony DVD RW DW-D150A which is what it is supposed to be.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  17. rwittmann

rwittmann Bit poster

have you tried deepburner? they have a free burner and it works fine for me

18. mmika

mmika Pro

Does Sony DVD RW DW-D150A work with BootCamp?

19. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

I haven't tried bootcamp. So far I don't need to run any software except CD/DVD burning that hasn't worked in Parallels. I have a PC 2 feet away from my Mac, so it's much easier to do it there than reboot the Mac every time. I would like to get this running though.

20. Rod Williams

Rod Williams Bit poster

No luck burning cds here either

I have the same problem trying to burn cds or dvds with XP built in burning software. Everything looks good until the very end when windows states that it is unable to burn. It says that it is preparing disc for burning, counts down to 5 seconds remaining, and then stops. At this point the disc is unreadable and has to be discarded. This procedure also slows down my computer to a standstill and requires a restart.
    Any suggestions out there?
    Rod