ctrl, alt, delete function does not work

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by drumcafe, Jun 23, 2007.

1. drumcafe

drumcafe Bit poster

I just set up my XP pro to the network domain and I have discovered that the ctrl, alt, delete function does not work in the parallels virtual window.

Does any one know what keys need to be used or is there a work around

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

There is a menu selection in Parallels to send keystrokes to the virtual machine. On the laptops the alt key requires pressing the Fn key as well.

3. Tromp C

Tromp C Bit poster

Where is this menu?

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

In window mode, the keyboard icon at the bottom of the virtual machine window. Otherwise in the menu bar: Devices -> Keyboard.

Are you using the "forward delete" key next to the "end" key, not the one next to the "=" key?

5. Tromp C

Tromp C Bit poster

Oh OK I misunderstood what you all were referring to by "menu". Yes I know where the menu is to tell the VM to input a keystroke combination. What I was intending to ask was how do I set the VM to allow me to just use my keyboard to Ctrl, Alt, Del to log on to Windows? I used to be able to. Now all of a sudden when Windows 7 loads up in a VM window neither my laptop keyboard or USB keyboard is accepted to use the ctrl, alt, del combination to log on to Windows 7. How do I change this?

6. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Are you using the "forward delete" key next to the "end" key, not the one next to the "=" key (which is actually backspace in Windows)?

Check or change the keyboard mappings at Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> Keyboard. Click Edit Profiles to see which profile is used by your VM. It's probably the Windows profile. Check all the shortcuts to make sure they're not messing up the ctrl, alt or del keys. Maybe add your own shortcut if nothing else works.

7. TristaJ

TristaJ Member

i'm pressing some combo of keys to make windows 7 go into suspend mode. i have no clue how. can you offer any advice on how to make it stop?