Disk Read Error Message

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by NikkiC, Oct 21, 2010.

1. NikkiC

NikkiC Bit poster

Hi guys, could you please help with a Disk Read Error I received while booting up Parallels? I have the latest build, and have restarted the computer many times.

I'm running Snow Leopard. Parallels 6. Thank you! [​IMG]

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Quote the error message or take a screenshot and post the info here. The latest build of Parallels Desktop 6 is now 11826.

3. BerndS

BerndS Bit poster

I've got the same problem.

Parallels 6, build 11826, on a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.6.4

Win7 32bit was installed and working for several days.
    Since this morning I always get the message "A disk read error occured, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

The computer was restarted several times but the error message is still there.

Anyone got a solution ??

4. aa.

aa. Member

Hello,

Could you please generate problem report (Help -> Report a problem) and post the ID number here? I'll try to understand what's happening.

Thank you!

5. msr83

msr83 Bit poster

Disk Read Error

Same problem here

6. aa.

aa. Member

Could you please generate problem report (Help -> Report a problem) and post the ID number here? I'll try to understand what's happening.

Thank you!

7. JulioO

JulioO Bit poster

Same problem

I have the same problem. Simply the mac is reset and then when start parallel give these sentence. Please sombody help

8. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Hi

Please generate a problem report and post the ID number here. Without a problem report will couldn't help you because we have no enough information about the reason of problem.

Thanks in advance.

9. JohanNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

JohanNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN Bit poster

i have the same problem. please help.

10. ChristophB

ChristophB Bit poster

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem occurring as of today. Was working totally fine yesterday.

ID number is 7203131

Many thanks,

Christoph

11. Stuw

Thanks for report! We will try to find a problem.

12. ChristophB

ChristophB Bit poster

any news on this?

This is a pretty major problem as our accountant uses the Windows virtual machine side to manage our accounts and they cannot obviously do this now.

many thanks,

Christoph

13. ogreve

ogreve Bit poster

Hi,

The below text (giving details, and showing that this issue also occurs with Parallels 5) was just reported by me in report number 7237579.

I desperately need to get my machine fully working asap, as we're faced with a big deadline at work, and the laptop with a coherently working Mac and Win installation is what I use as a tool to get my job done. Can you please try to solve this really soon?

Problem report textual details (this might be helpful to others too):

I just made a fresh install of a brand new Macbook Pro, upgraded OS-X to the most recent Snow Leopard version 10.6.5, then installed Windows 7 (32 bit) in Bootcamp and tried to run it in my (migrated from my previous Macbook Pro) Parallels 5 installation.
    Upon booting, when it tries to boot from the primary IDE HD, it says: "A disk read error occured, please restart". I tried this a few times. No improvement. I then ordered the Parallels 6 upgrade, hoping that would solve it, but I get the very same error. I have not been able to run Window at all in Parallels on my new machine now. When booting it in Bootcamp, it all works fine.

Kind regards,
    Olaf Greve

14. edenweb

edenweb Bit poster

Same problem here. Hope it's just a particular build that can be updated. Only started a few days ago.
    Got a pretty email offering an upgrade to Parallels 6. Sorry I did it now. FUBAR machine

15. Stuw

Hi Olaf Greve,

Try to remove created Bootcamp VM in Parallels Desktop 6 and after that create it again and try to boot.

p.s. What means "migrated" Parallels 5 installation?

16. Stuw

"A disk read error occurred" message indicates problem with MBR or filesystem boot sector.

For other:
    if you have a problem with VM (not with bootcamp VM) try to restore boot information:
    - for XP use fixboot and fixmbr commands in recovery console (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058)
    - for Vista/7 use bootrec.exe in recovery console (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392)

p.s. also if you did some actions (with VM or Parallels) before VM won't boot please describe it here.

Thanks

17. ogreve

ogreve Bit poster

Solved! :)

Hi Stuw,

Thanks a lot!
    That trick did it: just throw away the VM, create a new one, and I'm up and running!

You might want to add this to your FAQ list.

BTW: with "I migrated Parallels 5" I mean that when I obtained my new MacBook Pro, I transferred all user settings and programs from my old MBP. In it then, was also the (previously working) Parallels 5 installation. I knew, of course, that the Bootcamp installation itself would not be transferred, so that was set up from scratch. The thing where I went astray was that Parallels still gave the option to "use your VM devices" listing Bootcamp as an option.

It hadn't occurred to me that the VM itself needed to be destroyed and recreated, but in retrospect, this does make a lot of sense.

Thanks for the help and pointing this working solution out to me; I shall now go back to being a happy camper again! :)

Cheers,
    Olaf

PS: Somehow (despite being subscribed to this thread) I had not seen your further feedback, hence the late reply on my behalf.

18. Dent McCutcheon

Dent McCutcheon Bit poster

disk read error in WinXP VM

I've been unable to access my WinXP VM since last week due to a 'disk read error'. When I try to open or start it the initial splash screen just hangs there for several minutes after which a Parallels error dialog appears: Operation failed. An error occurred while reading the disk. OK closes the dialog and the VM.

I've tried setting the boot order to include only the CD-ROM and attempting to boot to Recovery Console as suggested in a previous post, but the VM never reads the disc in the drive - it just reports the same read error after several minutes. I also tried attaching an iso of the WinXP install disc to the CD-ROM drive in the VM - same result.

This is killing me. I've been running my office on the WinXP partition for the past year and a half and have everything I need there. I tried creating a new VM, but was informed I have insufficient space. Right now I'm backing up the WinXP pvm file to an external drive so I can delete it from Parallels and create a new one. If I can do that I'm hoping I can restore a recent Retrospect backup.

Ideally I would like to just resolve the read error so I can start the existing VM machine. Any ideas?

19. Stuw

Hi

Did you try to change boot order to boot from CDROM first? (for more information see Boot Order Settings in Parallels Desktop User's Guide)

20. aa.

aa. Member

Hello,

Please do the following:

1) generate the problem report after error occurred:
    - go to top menu -> help -> report a problem
    - tell me the number

2) Then add some magic flag:
    - go to the Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Boot Order -> Boot flags
    - add this string to the boot flags (without quotes):
    "devices.hdd.error=1"

please let me know whether it help or not