Coherence causes Blue Screen o' death in 3150 RC2

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by itsanaddams, Feb 1, 2007.

1. itsanaddams

itsanaddams Bit poster

:confused: Any thoughts on how to fix this. Thanks in advance.

2. hscheil

hscheil Bit poster

Same here

In my case I am pointing Parallels to an XP bootcamp partition. I have no problems running in full screen mode but when I switch to Coherence, it crashes with the blue screen of death.

Parallels Tools got updated when I created the VM, so it seems to be running on the latest and greatest.

Any help is appreciated. This is for RC2, build 3150.

Thanks - Helge

3. yusufosman

yusufosman Junior Member

i've never managed to get coherence to work, i've used multiple fixes provided on this forum, even after i've updated to RC2 i get nothing just fatal error and asked to report to parallels. i've tried to uninstall parallels, reinstall new parallels with this build, previously i've tried the fixes which removes cohrence (spelt wrong) via command interface etc, none of them yeild any results.

i think people are sick of helping with coherence problems, no one here has responded to mine you'd think whatever the problem is would have been fixed by now. i am using RC2 on macbook with 2gb or ram C2D.

i'd like to get it to work, any help would be greatly appreciated

4. jkneen

jkneen Member

Bizarre. I really wish I could help you. Without teaching you to suck eggs have you got the latest tools running and have you tried reinstalling them? I'm running an MBP so not the same hardware so just saying "it works for me" i realise is no help at all.

Is there anyone else here with similar hardware to yusufosman who could help?

5. yusufosman

yusufosman Junior Member

thanks dude,

well i think i've tried every fix i've found reported on this forum! there are at least 3-4 different ones.

i have a C2D macbook with 2gb ram running XP home. i thought it might be an XP home issue and the next thing i'm going to be tryng is to install XP Pro but it can't really be that?

I've tried reinstall Parallels, uninstall Tools reinstall rools in XP, remove registry key to cohrence, reinstall it etc etc, and still no joy. i thought that maybe RC2 would get it working and i waited with baited breath and i pressed the coherence button ...... the VM switched off and the report error thing came up.

atm the only thing holding me back from purhasing parallels is coherence. if i could get it to work i'd stick my money down for the key, but right now, VM Fusion is doing what Parallels does and is free for the time being!

anyway i'll keep trying until my trial key runs out in two weeks!!! might be the case i need to completely remove parallels, and restart with new install and new VM see if that works with RC2!

6. bluloo

bluloo Member

It can be frustrating when some features work for some and not for others. I run XP pro on my MBP (CD) and it's always run without a hitch, all builds. Oddly, I had KPs on my Mac Pro with several builds but Parallels works perfectly on my MBP.

Is your XP set up up to date (SP2?)

What are your settings for Parallels?

I doubt that it is related to something in OSX, but did you try to create a new, clean user account and run it from there?

good luck and post back.

7. yusufosman

yusufosman Junior Member

it's very frustrating!!!! especially as it seems to be working with sooo many other people, and many have been able to use the fixes to solve the problem!

the only thing that i haven't tried is to uninstall everything and start again including parallels and a new VM. i guess the best thing would be if someone understood the error messages that i'm asked to transmit to parallels when the thing crashes. if they did then they could tell what is going wrong and what needs to be changed.

there are so many variables it's probably impossible to figure out what could be causing it?

it sounds like such a cool feature, i atleast want to see it work!

i have XP Home SP2 OEM, so i'm hoping that isn't the cause of it.

i'll let you know if it works after a clean install, do you recommend i try it on a new account in OSX?

8. bluloo

bluloo Member

When there's "voodoo" afoot, it never hurts to try a fresh user account. Just make one called test or something to that effect. I doubt that it's something in your user account but you never know.

I used applejack to clear up a "black screen" issue with 3150 on my Mac Pro. You can use Onyx or similar utility for free and let it perform the system maintenance and clear all of your system caches (your machine will reboot so don't have anything else opened). Then try Parallels again.

9. yusufosman

yusufosman Junior Member

ta, i'll give that a go today! i've already been using onyx to clear out all my caches then running parallels. but will try a new user account.

10. bluloo

bluloo Member

Have you tried booting Windows into safe mode (F8) and reinstalling the Parallels tools?

11. itsanaddams

itsanaddams Bit poster

Coherence BSOD continued

Actually, I can trace my problems with coherence to the first update after the feature was first introduced. I have a MBP with 2gb of memory and have been running Parallels since the product was in beta, all those months ago.

I know all the tricks for updating, including rebooting after update and installing new parallels tools.

I know what the coherence mode looks like and how it works, because I was able to use it, as I said, until the developers 'fixed' the program for the Mac Pro line. That update caused my MBP problems due to the interface changes. For the first time during an update, the program 'lost' my windows partition and it has been downhill ever since.

yusufosman: I believe the silence about coherence is due to the fact that no one is sure why some have problems and others don't. The difference might really be that one will need to reinstall the windows partition to get it fixed.

I don't want to have to reinstall windows (XP sp2) but I believe the problem is caused by the use of early windows virtual drives, with later Parallels code.

IMHO

12. drval

drval Pro

Perhaps just a clean installation of build 3150, using the same VM that is already on your HD?

13. itsanaddams

itsanaddams Bit poster

Nope, didn't help...

drval: Been there, done that; didn't work.