Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac Build 11826 and Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by rmattern, Oct 22, 2010.

1. rmattern

rmattern Member

Did an upgrade to Build 11826.
    None of my MS virtual machines could be started, due "to changes of hardware".

I had to uninstall and reinstall the prevoius build. The Vm's are usable as before of this upgrade .

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
  2. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

Same here.

Neither my windows 7 or Kubuntu 10.10 can start. The windows always ends with a mem dump and a reboot, and the linux one simply grey screens my mac.

I'm rolling back to 11822.

3. rmattern

rmattern Member

Trials

Tried it several times, cleaned the Parallels Installation, upgraded and it failed again.
    I suspect that the failure of this build has something to do with Firewire.
    I upgraded to the latest build on my iMac running the volume on the internal harddisk and
    I didn't encounter any problems. The 'problem volumes' are stored on external firewire drives.

4. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

Ah,

This could be a hint.

My problem volumes are all stored on an external firewire drive. I don't have any virtual machines on my internal drive, so I won't be able to test that.

5. doWhileSomething

doWhileSomething Bit poster

New to the MAC platform, but just did an upgrade and had the same issue. This is terrible to release a build that causes all Guest OS's not to start.

Not sure how to rollback (if that is even an option). I would hate to have it remove the OS as they only let you activate so many times...

Not cool at all.

6. rmattern

rmattern Member

Start your Parallels DVD/CD again. Not the Program. You will see an uninstaller program. Uninstall Build 11826 and install 11822.

7. dev@parallels.com

dev@parallels.com Parallels Developers

To everybody in this thread having problems. Please post:
    1. Whether you run your VMs from external storage (like USB or firewire).
    2. Whether you are running MacOS 10.6.5 beta builds?
    3. Problem report ID generated (Help -> Report a problem) immediately after the problem.

8. doWhileSomething

1) No
    2) No
    3) Yes

@rmattern - I don't see an option to pick a specific build or anything. Very disappointed. I did uninstall, then reinstall from the disk. Same problem, still nothing works.

9. doWhileSomething

Well, I'm running build 6.0.11822, revision 604190, 9-14-2010 and VM's still don't work. Fantastic.

Think I will ask for a refund and just use boot camp. Little more limited, but "it" works.

10. dev@parallels.com

doWhileSomething, can you please generate a problem report (in Help -> Report a problem) and send me it's ID.
    I will take a look at what maybe wrong in your case.

11. rmattern

rmattern Member

I've upgraded and downgraded several times Parallels builds and I do have a running system. Except that I can't boot any vm of the latest build.
    Running now 10.6.5 10H653, before 10H562
    Problems arise with Parallels latest build when I use my 10.6.5 Volume attached via Firewire. Not the vm, the complete 10.6.5 volume makes use a WD firewire HD (which of course includes the vm)!
    Again when I boot 10.6.5 from my iMacs internal harddisk everything is running fine. So Parallels !
    Conclusion : I suppose it's an I/O problem caused by Firewire/Parallels

12. doWhileSomething

@dev@parallels.com

Thank you for your response. I'm at work right now and don't have the machine with me. However, I did file/report the issue via reporting feature which generated a report number under my email address. Can you find it that way?

13. dev@parallels.com

In your concrete case: you hit 10.6.5 beta issue. we are working on resolving it right now.
    Yes, it was triggered altogether by 11826 + 10.6.5 and external storage. To return back to old 11822 behavior (and thus avoid triggering this 10.6.5 bug) you can use vm.mem_anonymous=0 boot flag in VM configuration.
    External storage is just a hint for Parallels which algorithm is better to use: for external we use vm.mem_anonymous=1, for local vm.mem_anonymous=1.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  14. rmattern

rmattern Member

Thanks for the info. I'm going to upgrade again and will modify the vm configuration for use with 10.6.5 beta.

15. rmattern

rmattern Member

I'm upgrading Parallels Tools in my vm's. Build 11826.

16. Moolicious

Moolicious Bit poster

Hi,

In my case, my Windows 7 VM is blue-screening on boot after upgrading Parallels to build 11826. Rolling back to the previous build fixes the problem. I am running build 10H563 of OS X 10.6.5. My VM is running on the internal drive of my Mac Pro (model: MacPro3,1).

Again, in my case I am not running my VM from an external drive so this appears to be an issue with the pre-release builds of 10.6.5 in general.

17. dev@parallels.com

Moolicious, external drive is just one of the cases when it happens and which I explained. In your case I guess you have >= 4CPUs and >4GB RAM on the host.
    So recipe is the same boot flag: vm.mem_anonymous=0.
    Or don't use beta builds of MacOS on production nodes.

18. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

1) Yes running from external Firewire
    2) Yes running with latest 10.6.5 Beta
    3) NO, cannot do that as I would need to reinstall 286 and I do not need to run into the risk or ruining my Windows 7 partition. I have already hosed my Linux partition with the 286 build. I need my windows 7 partition for everyday work.
    I did file send the error report the first time I ran into these problems. You could look it up, it should say I was running 10.6.5 in the information sent.

19. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

Yes!

Adding the vm.mem_anonymous=0 to the boot flag did the trick, I am now running the 11826 version.

20. rmattern

rmattern Member

Upgraded to latest OS X Build 10H568. vm.mem_anonymous=0 is still correct and necessary to boot a vm.
    No problems at all.