devices being recognized in XP not OS X

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by obrien234, Feb 3, 2007.

1. obrien234

obrien234 Bit poster

Hi,

Sorry if I'm asking a repeated question, I'm new to Parallels and couldn't find anything through search of the help or forums.

I'm using Parallels 99% for one program where I only really need to use devices to reset the database (about once a month). Currently what is happening is everytime I plug in anything USB or a CD while Parallels is running, XP gets first dibs on the material.

aka. nothing shows up in Mac OS X. In order to get the stuff to show I either:

a) shut down parallels
    b) disconnect the device in Parallels

Is there any way to make it that Parallels starts up without having the CD drive or USB drive connected?

Thanks

2. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Yes, just set the options in the preferences of the virtual machine. They are clearly marked.

3. geordisjd

geordisjd Member

The options you're looking for are not in the preferences. They are in the configuration of your virtual machine which can only be accessed when the VM is not on, but the application Parallels is active. That's where you can change the virtual memory, the hard disk size, the sound features, whether or not a USB device will be captured, etc.
    When the VM is on, you can also go "Devices" in the toolbar and change some settings, like disconnecting the DVD/CD drive and make it available to the Mac.
    I'm not an expert either at using Parallels and help is something diffucult to find here if the questions are basic or have been discussed before.I don't always have the time to read through hundreds of posts and a little bit of help for the beginners would be welcome. Even if the question is redundant to most, it isn't for the novice user.
    Parallels' help is often useless and read like a cookbook where the important pages are missing.