Shared Folders. \\.psf is not accessible...

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by LorenFinkelstein, Apr 17, 2007.

1. LorenFinkelstein

LorenFinkelstein Member

I am trying to get Shared Folders working. Host and VM are both XP Pro. Parallels is 2.2 Build 2112.

When I double-click on Parallels Shared Folders I get the following error.

\\.psf is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The specified network provider name is invalid.​

Any help would be appreciated.

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

Whatever username is used for logging into the guest, needs to be setup as a user in the host.

3. LorenFinkelstein

LorenFinkelstein Member

How do I do that, since the VM is not a member of the same domain that the host is?

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

On the host, go to Control Panel, open user accounts, and setup the same user name that is used on the guest.

5. LorenFinkelstein

LorenFinkelstein Member

I added a local user with the same user name, but it didn't help.

I tried to add the user using the VM machine name as the domain name for where the user is and got the error that COMPUTER\USER could not be added because they don't exist.

Because my host machine is a member of a domain, it seems like the only way to do this is to make the virtual machine a member of the domain as well, but I can't do that.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Loren

6. djpadz

djpadz Bit poster

This recently happened to me. I found that removing the Parallels Tools completely (Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs), rebooting, reinstalling the Parallels Tools, and rebooting, caused PSF to appear once again.

Hope that helps!

--Dj

7. David Barrett

David Barrett Bit poster

The reinstallation of Parallels Tools is still working in Parallels 5 using Win7 64. I "lost" my \\.psf and tried this fix very successfully on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.2.

8. Tom Cox

Tom Cox Bit poster

I concur with David - had the same problem using Parallels 5 and Windows 7 32-bit on a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.6.2. - reinstallation of Parallels tools helped me clear up the lost .psf - as well as a broken Recycle Bin on Windows 7 (could not delete the contents).

9. timmo

timmo Bit poster

ah...thanks! I had the same problem (Windows 7 install using Parallels 5). I couldn't see any of my Mac drives in Windows 7 (getting that same .psf error), so I uninstalled Parallels Tools, rebooted, re-installed the Tools, and voila...all the drives show up! Very frustrating trying to figure this out...hopefully Parallels will fix this issue so as to not anger future customers :)

10. KamranH

KamranH Bit poster

Thanks for tip folks. I had the same issue (.psf) was not available and after uninstalling and re-installing, it worked.

11. Glenn Cogar

Glenn Cogar Bit poster

the uninstall, reboot, reinstall parallels tools, reboot fixed my /.psf problems too :)

12. Glenn Cogar

Glenn Cogar Bit poster