Very cool-Mac OS X, Ubuntu and Windows XP at same time!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ivanjs, Apr 22, 2006.

1. ivanjs

ivanjs Bit poster

2. Cereal

Cereal Junior Member

BTW:Nice site!

3. Joel

Joel Bit poster

I've got Ubuntu and XP on mine as well. Ubuntu is pretty cool. I have one problem I haven't figured out yet though. At school on the unsecured network, I can connect to the internet just fine. At home on the Airport with WEP enabled, no internet. I haven't messed around with it too much yet to see if I can get it to work, no time right now. Anyone else seeing this? BTW, XP connects fine at home.

4. ivanjs

ivanjs Bit poster

Did you make sure to choose Airport BEFORE launching Ubuntu from Parallels control panel? I had the same problem-xp read it fine, but Ubuntu couldn't find my network. I had to shutdown Ubuntu, go to the Parallels panel and change to airport, restarted Ubuntu and everything worked fine.

5. ivanjs

ivanjs Bit poster

Thank you!

6. Joel

Joel Bit poster

Yes I had Airport chosen. Actually, after looking at another thread here, I changed Ubuntu's Network pref from DHCP to static, entered an IP in the range of my Airport, entered subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and my Airport's IP as the Router, and I am now posting from Firefox in Ubuntu. Is that what fixed it...

When I went into OSX's Network prefs to get the info, System Prefs said it detected a new port and asked if I wanted to enable it. Of course I said yes. So whether this activated it or changing to a Static IP, I'm not sure, but it's working now.