BETA and Retail Boxed version - how to register?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by gschober, Feb 3, 2007.

1. gschober

gschober Bit poster

All,

I am fairly new to Parallels and Macs in general.
    I bought an Intel based MacPro about 2 months ago together with a retail boxed version of Parallels Desktop for Mac. I found out about the Beta (build 3120) before I installed my retail version and installed the Beta instead.
    Now I am wondering how the registration process will work. I have a brand new sealed retail box but would like to use the Beta/Release Candidate and of course - as soon as available - the final version that includes all the features of the Beta.
    Can I register the Beta with a serial# from the retail box and will this also work for the final release?
    Do I have to uninstall the Beta, install the retail version and reinstall the Beta?

Thanks,
    G.

2. RCF2616

RCF2616 Member

Parallels Registration

According to Parallels, the betas and release candidates (RC's) are free to use for registered users, and the final update in this version will be free for registered users. Go ahead and register your copy with Parallels, who will give you an activation code. This activation code will be valid for the betas/RCs as well and, I assume for the final release for this version of the software.

Enjoy!

3. gschober

gschober Bit poster

Thanks!, I'll give it a shot...

4. RCF2616

RCF2616 Member

Parallels install for Betas

You should be able to install the latest beta right over the boxed version install (It picks up the activation code you already entered).

(I'm now assuming that your guest OS is Windows XP)

One precaution, though. When you go to reinstall the beta's Parallel tools in your VM, it might not install -- a bug. In this case, restart Windows and press F8 as soon as the first screen appears after starting the Virtual Machine/XP, select 'Safe Mode', start XP and go to 'Control Panel' >> 'Add/Remove Programs' and remove the 'Parallel Tools' software that was installed with the boxed version. Then go to the Parallels tool bar, click on 'Action' and select "Install Parallels Tools..." Once the newer tools are installed, restart XP normally and you should be fine.

Good Luck.

5. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

Pay attention to this on http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/beta_testing/
    NOTE! The activation keys for local versions of Parallels Desktop for Mac do not work with our current RC build of Parallels Desktop for Mac. This regards to UK, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Czech, Polish and Japanese versions. If you’re using any of those local Parallels products and want to try and evaluate our great features such as Coherence, USB 2.0 support, Transporter, and other, please please order the 30-day trial activation key below.

6. yatil

yatil Bit poster

So will official builds support other licence keys than the American? I've just ordered (and received) a German Box and I would send it back if this isn't the case.

so long,
    yatil

7. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

retail boxed versions will be upgradable with full releases, but not with betas.