Parallel Tools won't install

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by veggiedude, Nov 2, 2010.

1. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

I updated to the latest build of Parallels 6. Up until now everything was working fine, but the new update will not install the tools. I ended up with a paralized Windows with no tools at all.

Good thing I had a backup.

Now every time I launch Parallels, it wants to install the tools.

How do I fix it so it will properly install - or how do I prevent the new tools from installing? Its a pain to manually wait to click cancel.

Note: waited over an hour for the installer to finish.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. michealk

michealk Bit poster

I'm seeing the exact same problem after upgrading. Parallels begins the tools install, and then rolls back then install and pops up a dialog informing me that I need to click OK to restart the instance and retry the tools install.

I'm running a Windows 7 VM inside Parallels 6 Revision 615184

3. michealk

michealk Bit poster

A further update:

I've followed the instructions outlined in two knowledgebase articles:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/8969 and http://kb.parallels.com/9248 - removed registry entries, temp files, etc. Made sure that no Parallels services were starting on boot. Removed the Parallels audio and video drivers. Then tried reinstalling Tools.

I get the same problem as before. The Tools seem to install, but then the installer rolls back the changes and pops up a dialog informing me that there was an error, and to Click OK to restart and try again.

This is very frustrating.

4. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

uninstall the tools first

I solved it by uninstalling the tools first and then reboot before reinstalling them.

5. LouisT

LouisT Bit poster

Having the same problem but when I goto uninstall there is no parallel tools item in my uninstaller dir. Saw the 2 trouble shooting guides and they didn't help. Tried running the setup.exe in various windows compatibility modes, didn't work. Attempted to run parallels-tools-i386.msi (running 32-bit version of windows 7) and it gives a "failed to create 'root enumerated device' necessary to install Parallels Paravirtualization driver." But that error could just crop up because I'm running it out of order / minus other pieces of the installer.

This sucks =/

6. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

7. LouisT

LouisT Bit poster

Even when this update started, parallels already had uninstalled the previous version of parallel tools so its not in my list to uninstall. I followed the instructions to remove the registry keys related to parallels... so I don't have anything windows installer cleanup utility can see. I'm just going to reinstall windows, not too big of a deal with the way i need to use it (just a few apps) but man can't believe that it gets to a state like this.

8. mtr

mtr Bit poster

Fixed this problem after Parallels 7 upgrade

I had this issue after upgrading to Parallels 7, it seems to have been caused by my user TEMP variable somehow having an extra path appended to it. Changed it back to just the %USERPROFILE%... and Parallels Tools installed fine.

9. Mark1959

Mark1959 Bit poster

mtr-can you give me some details on this technique. I get to 40% install and get the error message. nothing i am finding online is working.

10. tagarinconada

tagarinconada Bit poster