Unable to login to GUI after Tools install/update

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Alex Crane, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Alex Crane

Alex Crane Bit poster

I am running openSUSE 11.0 under Parallels Build 6.0.11826 and have just installed the updated Parallels tools. After the update of Tools and the subsequent reboot, I am unable to log into the GUI - I am prompted for the user name and password for the account I want to log into, and the system appears to begin to load the KDE4 desktop, but bounces right back to login screen. No errors are being shown. This happens no matter if logging in as root or regular user. Passwords are not being rejected. I can successfully boot to the CLI.

This happened when I originally installed openSUSE in Parallels 5 and then upgraded to 6, at that time I just reinstalled openSUSE, but want I want to avoid that if at all possible here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Added info: I am successfully able to log into GNome, but not KDE4 (which I much prefer).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  2. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

Alex, try to examine log-files (/var/log/kdm.log or ~/.xsession-errors). Is there smth. interesting?

3. Alex Crane

Alex Crane Bit poster

Rkulikov,

First off - thank you for your response! I have since learned that upgrading tools in any VM Linux guest is not advised - the correct method should be to uninstall and then reinstall the current tools version. I have since tested this on other Linux VMs without any trouble.

As to the current question: I ran across this script on an off-topic post:
    #!/bin/bash
    mkdir ~/parallelsfixbackup
    cp /usr/lib/parallels-tools/.backup/.libgl/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/
    cp /usr/lib/parallels-tools/.backup/.libgl/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib64/
    ln -fs /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
    ln -fs /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1
    cp -f /usr/lib/parallels-tools/.backup/.libgl/libglx.so /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
    cp /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.5.0.9220.531002 ~/parallelsfixbackup/

When I tried running it, I discovered that many of the symbolic links that this script refers to were no longer valid. After replacing them, I am able to log into KDE, but things still aren't running correctly - it's very glitchy. I don't have access too the VM at the moment, but if you would like more detail, please let me know.

4. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

Alex, am I right saying that you had VM with OpenSuse 11.0 with tools from 5.0.9220. Then you updgrated into build 6.0.11826, updated guest tools and recieved error discribed here?

5. Alex Crane

Alex Crane Bit poster

Rkulikov,

Yes and no - let me explain. I am a student taking a college class in Linux. When I upgraded from v5 to v6, I did have the exact same problem, however, at the time I was so new to Linux that I didn't realize that the ability to log into runlevel 3 meant that there were likely things that could be done to rectify the situation, so I simply trashed the VM and reinstalled. This time, I was upgrading from the first v6 release (sent out on CD) to the first update that was pushed out online (when Parallels performed its weekly check for updates). Apparently, I didn't remember the lesson I should've learned from the v5 to v6 debacle, and did it (allowed PTools to update) again. I had one each 64 bit and 32 bit VMs installed, and only bricked (as far as KDE is concerned) the 64 bit VM. On the 32 bit VM, I uninstalled PTools and then installed the updated version and everything works just fine. I have done this successfully to the 32 bit VM twice now, since another update came out to handle OS X 10.6.5 last week. And yes - this is all with OpenSuse 11.0. I plan on playing with more current version(s) after my class ends in December.