Is sound working for anyone?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by aangel, Apr 21, 2006.

1. aangel

aangel Junior Member

Hi,
    I'm running parallels workstation (Beta4) on a Mac Mini and can't seem to get sound through a windows media stream.

Is anyone getting full sound? With browser-embedded streams?

-Andre'

2. djav

djav Bit poster

I tried this out on a fresh XP image using beta 3 and 4 (on a Mini). The only site that came to mind was iFilm. The default-installed WinMedia Player worked just fine - embedded.

- Do you get sound anywhere else during your virtual session?
    - Do you see the flashing green activity light during playback (bottom-right: status bar)

just in case, test a stream or two from iFilm.com (a confirmed-working site)
    javi

3. jeffk

jeffk Bit poster

I tried several streaming audio sites using Beta 4 and had no issues. Sound worked fine on my Mac Mini.

Cheers
    Jeff K

4. aangel

aangel Junior Member

More Info

Thanks for suggesting places to look.

I went back to see what Parallels supports by way of sound and it's supposed to have a AC'97 compatible sound card.

A quick look in the control panel showed that there is no sound card being emulated.

One thing that springs to mind is that my virtual machine was created with Beta 1 and brought up through Beta 4.

My guess is that if it's working for you folks, it's the VM that's the culprit. I'll try that and see if it does the trick.

-Andre

5. david

david Member

6. aangel

aangel Junior Member

Ypup, that was it

The missing sound card was exactly the problem.

I created a new vm, re-installed xp and voila, I had sound. I figured that making a new vm would be ultimately better than continuing with the old one.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

-Andre'