booting from a bootcamp partition asks about drivers

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by reconbot, Feb 2, 2007.

1. reconbot

reconbot Bit poster

I get this, so does my flat mate. (I've got the latest beta on a macbook pro, he's got it on a macpro)
    I referred to the documentation but nothing points to this message. I also searched the forums but found nothing relevant.

Help us?

2. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Have you ran the Bootcamp Assistant from OS X and installed Windows on the Bootcamp partition already, before making it a VM in Parallels?

3. reconbot

reconbot Bit poster

Nope, no tools installed at all. Just apple drivers for my macbook.

My flatmate had them installed and he got rid of them he said.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  4. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

reconbot,

When you boot up Parallels the first time after your Mac has been powered on, does the "Parallels Tools is initializing" message come on? (It has a graphic of the Parallels graphic with a lock in it, and says not to do anything until initializing is over)

Next, what does "flatmate" distinguish about a person? I'm assuming it indicates different about a "mate" than just using the word "mate" does?

5. ClunkClunk

ClunkClunk Junior Member

Flatmate usually means person who shares an apartment with you, but not in the same room. In the UK, as far as I know, they differentiate between roommate and flatmate, unlike here in the US.

6. ClunkClunk

ClunkClunk Junior Member

I had the error that stated:
    In the Parallels User Guide it has some info about this error:
    When I did this, I had driver.cab on my XP disc, but I did not have sp1.cab or sp2.cab. If I copied driver.cab and tried Parallels, I got the same error. I fixed it by locating another copy of an XP install disc, and digging in the disc to find the sp2.cab file, dropping it in to the i386 folder, and trying Parallels. After I did that, Parallels Desktop functioned exactly how it should with my Boot Camp partition. I'm not too sure why my disc doesn't have that file. It's an XP Pro Corporate Edition, SP2.

Either way, my successful steps were these:
    1. Boot directly to XP via Boot Camp
    2. Copy sp2.cab from XP disc (or download it perhaps) to C:/windows/driver cache/i386
    3. Reboot back to Mac OS X
    4. Set up Parallels Desktop to use Boot Camp

7. reconbot

reconbot Bit poster

not quite

Alright, the sp2.cab doesn't work for me, I get an error message complaining about invalid hardware. Now I think this is because your sp2.cab contains information for a different hal? What kind of system did you get that off of?

And why do you need it? None of my windows installs have them.. (they've all been installed with slipstreamed disks, I think.)

-Francis

8. ClunkClunk

ClunkClunk Junior Member

It came from an XP Pro Volume License disc.

I needed it because as I mentioned, Parallels wouldn't proceed beyond the error message it gave me before. As for what Parallels finds inside sp2.cab that it needed, I haven't the faintest idea.

Too bad it didn't work for you :(