Microsoft FSX does not work properly

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by James Bloomer, Sep 30, 2010.

1. James Bloomer

James Bloomer Bit poster

I just upgraded to Parallels Desktop 6, and Microsoft Flight Simulator X, does not work properly. I only have Parallels on this computer to run Microsoft FSX. FSX worked perfectly under Parallels Desktop 5. With 6, performance is slower, and quite a few functions are intermittent or don't work. Some keyboard commands, some pull down menu items, and some controller commands are intermittent. The controller commands, duplicate the key commands that are problematic. For example, trying to set replay in the pull down menu takes several tries, using the escape key each time after the screen freezes. In fact, using the escape key itself is intermittent when trying to halt the flight. several other keyboard commands are intermittent or slow to react.

I searched the forum and found nothing pertaining to FSX. FSX is the only Windows application I have on this machine and the only reason to have installed Parallels. Repeat, FSX worked perfectly under Parallels 5.

Machine configuration:

iMac 10,1 Intel Core 2 Duo
    3.06 GHz
    Memory 4 GB
    OSX 10.6.4 (10F569)
    Graphics: Radeon HD 4670/256MB vRam
    Parallels 6.0.11822
    Windows 7.0 Pro

If I can't get the FSX issue resolved in Parallels 6, is there a way I can revert back to Parallels 5, without having to create a new virtual machine, including new windows installation and new MS FSX installation? I have a lot of 3rd party components (planes) installed and it would be extremely difficult to rebuild them. A new FSX + Acceleration package installation takes 6 hours.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Best regards,

Jim

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Use Windows control panel to remove Parallels Tools. Then shutdown Windows properly. Then use the Uninstall app on the Parallels 6 install .dmg to uninstall Parallels 6. Then reinstall Parallels 5. Parallels 5 might be able to use the Parallels 6 .pvm. If not, then move the .hdd out of the .pvm (right click the .pvm and select "Show Package Contents"). Then move the .pvm to the trash. Then create a new .pvm in Parallels 5 and point it at the .hdd.

3. James Bloomer

James Bloomer Bit poster

Jovet, Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what to do. I'll have to get comfortable with moving windows files, that I don't understand first. I'm an excellent mac guy, but a windows novice.

I'm leaving on vacation and taking FSX with me, and I don't want to screw up FSX any more than it is not. it's still functional........for the most part. Perhaps when i return I'll bite the bullet, and reload everything, starting with Parallels 5, the windows 7, then FSX.

-Jim

4. James Bloomer

James Bloomer Bit poster

Perhaps I'll just wait until Parallels issues an update to resolve the various performance issues.

-Jim

5. James Bloomer

James Bloomer Bit poster

I'm a mac guy. Sorry, I really don't know what you are talking about.

6. James Bloomer

James Bloomer Bit poster

Still doesn't work properly after latest update

Still doesn't work properly after latest update. I am going to reload FSX and FSX acceleration. I am facing issues with Parallels 6. It seems graphics are actually slower.

-Jim

7. SqlA

SqlA Bit poster

FSX has issues Parallels 5 and Windows 7 Ultimate

Hello,

I have issues with FSX like Submenu with Gibirish Text and Messed up planes that look like Junk.
    Software runs, but with above issues so far.
    All possible updates for MAC, Parallels 5 for Desktop, Windows 7 Ultimate and FSX(SP1 + SP2) are done and still the same issues. Windows 7 is clean and dedicated only to FSX. No addons to FSX all clear.

Mac Pro Quad, 5GB RAM, 1TB secondary HD, Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT, HD Cenima 24in Display

any recommendations?

Thanks,

Sql

8. James Bloomer

James Bloomer Bit poster

I finally gave up and deleted Parallels 6 Virtual Machine and Parallels 6. Re-Installed Parallels 5, Windoz 7 Pro, FSX Deluxe and FSX Acceleration. After 6 hours of installation MS FSX operates perfectly. I just have to recover my 3rd party planes. Now, I would like to get a refund for Parallels 6.

-Jim

9. Botnik

Botnik Bit poster

FSX Slow with Gibberish in Command Menus

In reply to Jim B.'s posts:

FSX frame rates on PD6 improved GREATLY after I installed Acceleration Pack (which incl SP1 & SP2).
    Please make sure FSX's SP1 & SP2 are really installed.

With FSX Deluxe only, frame rates were intolerable but menu commands at top of window while flying (activated by pressing ALT key) were OK.

In reply to Sql's post:
    Now that I have good frame rates, I have the gibberish problem you described in the command menus.
    Initially menus are OK but when switching views (e.g. from inside to outside the plane) the menus become illegible.
    When the command menus turn to gibberish, and you change to external view (to see your plane), the plane's paint scheme is also incorrect.

BTW I think FSX Deluxe used DirectX 9 while Acceleration Pack upgrades FSX to DirectX 10.

In outside of plane view, using a joystick, you can quickly change point-of-view (move around the outside of plane).
    If doing this quickly, sometimes nearby trees (in scene with plane) show sharp spikes sticking way up into the sky.
    The spikes quickly disappear but the gibberish menu/paint scheme remains ... except rarely when the menus/paint will suddenly look "OK" again - for awhile.

If you remember the command's location, you can press ALT (to get the top of window command menus); then navigate to End This Flight at which time a new window opens asking if you want to end or continue the flight.
    If you press Continue the Flight, your menus and paint scheme will be OK when the application returns to flying - but they will soon revert again to "gibberish".

Attached 2-page PDF shows good menu/good paint scheme and gibberish menu/gibberish paint scheme.

I have optimized PD 6 / WinXP for performance (gave both CPUs + 2GB RAM to VM; selected enable 3D along with 256MB RAM on Video settings page of VM; power settings are for performance - not long battery life; and wherever permitted in VM configs selected optimize for speed and performance).

In addition the Mac's 2nd video chip is enabled (via the Mac's System Preferences settings) as is performance not battery life in the Mac's Energy Efficiency settings).

And for good measure Kaspersky Internet Security was not enabled while testing FSX.
    (and no other app is running under OS-X either - I disabled WiFi and was not connected to any network).

My system:
    MacBook Pro (late 2009);
    OS-X 10.6.4;
    3.06GHz Core 2 Duo;
    4GB RAM;
    PD 6.0.11828;
    WinXP + SP3;
    Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 (disabled for this testing).

Hope the Parallels team can find a solution!

Attached Files:

10. Botnik

Botnik Bit poster

MSoft Flight Simulator 9 Works Fine...No Gibberish

FYI for the Parallels team:
    I went back and loaded the previous version of Flight Simulator (FS 2004 - also called FS9) on my MacBook Pro / PD6 system. It works just fine - even with all FS9 detail and resolution settings at maximum.

Both are installed on my system so I can use either FS9 or FSX.
    With FS9 + PD6: No slow frame rates; no gibberish in menus or airplane paint schemes.
    With FSX + PD6: Not as fast as FS9 but still OK (FSX scenery is much more complex); HAVE gibberish on menus & planes.

Maybe DirectX 9.0 vs DirectX 10 (because FS9 uses DirectX9 and FSX uses DirectX10)?

I installed FS9 AFTER installing FSX but cannot find how to check which version of DirectX is running on my system.

My system:
    MacBook Pro (late 2009);
    OS-X 10.6.4;
    3.06GHz Core 2 Duo;
    4GB RAM;
    PD 6.0.11828;
    WinXP + SP3;
    Kaspersky Internet Security 2011.

11. Airbus A380

Airbus A380 Bit poster

Microsoft FSX Issues with Parallels 6

Fellow Parallels Users,
    I just got a Mac Mini and installed Parallels 6, Windows 7 and Microsoft FSX. When I finished installing FSX and tried to open it I got a message that the Video Card did not support Windows. When I tried to install FSX Accelerator, I got a message that the software could not be loaded because the video card did not support a vidoe setting. Windows 7 shows that I am using a Standard VGA Video card...must be what Parallels is telling it. Could use your advice on what to do to get FSX to work. Thanks.

Mike