Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3150 RC2 is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Feb 1, 2007.

1. benles

benles Junior Member

Mouse acceleration flakey since RC1

Just thought I'd report this: since RC1, the mouse acceleration on OS X dies intermittently when Parallels is running. For example, I just started Parallels for the first time today and as soon as I pressed 'Start' on the virtual machine, mouse acceleration died.

This can also happen at random while the machine is running. The only fix is to reboot the mac.

2. johnq@internode.on.net

johnq@internode.on.net Junior Member

Up until and including build 3120 I used a bootcamp partition for parallels. Whenever I switched to coherence mode BSOD. I upgraded to 3150 and the same issue. I decided to remove the bootcamp partition and simply use the parallels VM on my OS X partition. Problem gone. This was done easily by copying the XP instalation from the Bootcamp partition and installing the new VM.
    No BSOD. Everything that I have tried works. Most surprising, loading and running is notably faster. Well done Parallels team.

3. Virion

Virion Bit poster

I've had similar experiences load-wise, but it raises to 45-50% usage from 12-14% when I run Flash 8, but let it idle. It seems just being a full screen application puts a load in it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  4. rhind

rhind Member

I don't see this when I run Visual Studio 2005 maximised (in coherence of 'full screen'). But for the iSight, I hadn't even got it active, just connected to the VM. Green light wasn't on the MBP so shouldn't have been active at all.

Cheers

Russell

5. doug13

doug13 Bit poster

BSOD error when installing Parallel tools update +

Once I booted from the Boot Camp partition, I got through login and to the dialog asking whether to update the drivers to correspond with the version of Parallels. I clicked Yes or OK or whatever the button is. Very shortly thereafter I got a BSOD which was wiped by an immediate parallele reboot that clears it so fast that I could not read or note anything from it. I tried again. Same result. Any suggestions?

FYI in case it's relevant, immediately prior to this I had teh following experience:

After installing RC2 (3150), when I tried to open the Boot Camp VM I got the "More than one windows partition..." message reported by a few others. This installation is completely standard and worked fine with RC1. I tried a variety of workarounds and finally got it to start by removing my USB2 drive that contains two FAT32 partitions. (I haven't used this with Parallels in the past, but it was attached to the system.) This may be fixable with the custom config file edits, although that process is a bit cryptic to be needed for a simple installation...

6. doug13

doug13 Bit poster

BSOD error when installing Parallel tools update +

Once I booted from the Boot Camp partition, I got through login and to the dialog asking whether to update the drivers to correspond with the version of Parallels. I clicked Yes or OK or whatever the button is. Very shortly thereafter I got a BSOD which was wiped by an immediate parallele reboot that clears it so fast that I could not read or note anything from it. I tried again. Same result. Any suggestions?

FYI in case it's relevant, immediately prior to this I had teh following experience:

After installing RC2 (3150), when I tried to open the Boot Camp VM I got the "More than one windows partition..." message reported by a few others. This installation is completely standard and worked fine with RC1. I tried a variety of workarounds and finally got it to start by removing my USB2 drive that contains two FAT32 partitions. (I haven't used this with Parallels in the past, but it was attached to the system.) This may be fixable with the custom config file edits, although that process is a bit cryptic to be needed for a simple installation...

7. clhedrick

clhedrick Bit poster

John -

I am having the same issue - when I go to Parallel Tools, coherence is disabled and I can't edit it...I have sent a message to Parallel but don't know if it will help - let me know if you figure anything out

Carroll

carroll@hedrick.org

8. clbell

clbell Bit poster

I just noticed there is an option to turn off live previews in the parallels icon. This is something I had requested earlier. I don't know if I had anything to do with adding this option or not but I have to say you guys are awesome for being so responsive to your customers.

9. arisobrat

arisobrat Bit poster

I can use my VZW BB as a modem in RC2!

Just wanted to give a huge THANK YOU to Parallels.

Up until tonight, I've had to use Boot Camp in order to use my Verizon BlackBerry 7103e as a modem.

In all versions before RC2, the Verizon VZAccess Manager program couldn't see the BlackBerry (even though the BlackBerry Manager software would), so using it as a modem was a no go.

Now it works great!

:)

10. John@flavors

John@flavors Junior Member

Build 3150 Does Not Support The Blackberry 7100!

Parallels,

Keep Coding!

John

11. dailo

dailo Member

Very interesting you are right when I have no USB devices connected at all usage is around 20%.

12. rwbaskette

rwbaskette Bit poster

Usability Question : Coherence and multiple monitors

Thank you for all of the great work!

I use my Mac Book Pro with a secondary monitor and have been running the Parallels betas and release candidates and one thing has stuck out that has yet to be addressed or brought up.

The MBP runs at 1440x900 natively and my secondary display runs at 1280x1024. If I enable multi-monitor support for coherence with the MBP screen as my primary display, the secondary display only has a 900 pixel high band available to it for windows applications.

As such, I tried seeing what might happen if my primary display were the 1280x1024 screen. The results were somewhat better, however, the top of the application is cut off in somewhat of an awkward place relative to the primary display when the dock is used as a cut-off for the coherence display. This behavior does not bother me, just noted.

What is particularly bothersome is the combination of these behaviors and the setting of a window to the "maximized" state (or where it would be by default). I've attached screenshot examples.

Is there the possibility to create a secondary virtual display driver for windows to mirror or virtualize a second display so that the windowing behaviors remain consistent? For those of us who work frequently with multiple displays for software development ( as I am sure you know! ) and other complex tasks, any information on this issue would be of great interest.

Thank you again for all of the hard work!

Robert

With apologies for the imageshack links...

1440x900 Display :
    http://img470.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture22vh7.jpg

1280x1024 Display :
    http://img470.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2wf5.jpg

13. seaQuest_AMD

seaQuest_AMD Bit poster

Apple USB Modem is still broken, I get a very staticy dial-up noise, then the system blue screens.

I need it to log into some of our customers servers, and the sharing dial-up method via OSX doesn't work.

14. aosborne

aosborne Bit poster

Memory leaking badly

I just start either a windows 2000 or windows xp VM, and leave it run, and in activity monitor you can see memory getting chewed up, it never stops. When you quit parallels the active memory also remains high.

:(

15. EpaL

EpaL Bit poster

Nasty usability bug: Once "Start VM automatically ..." is checked, config is stuck!!

I've come across this seemingly obviously, extremely anoying and rather severe bug with Parallels. I'm using the latest RC2 build where the problem still exists.

To duplicate:

1. Open a VM or create a new one.
    2. Edit the VM configuration. Go to Options -> Booting and check Start VM automatically when it is opened.
    3. Start the VM.

Now, try editing the VM configuration again. If the VM is running, it tells you to stop it before editing the configuration. Problem is once you stop the VM, Parallels closes the VM and quits (if its the last VM running). I've tried every option I can think of but for the life of me I can't figure out how to stop the VM without Parallels quitting or closing it. This means there is no way to edit the configuration of the VM once this option is set :confused:

This is really silly guys - did anyone do ANY testing on feature? I love this product like most people here but this is truely anoying. My main VM is stuck with 512MB of ram until this is fixed!

Thanks for listening.

Ed

16. ajcooper

ajcooper Member

Logitech Drivers 10.5 Not Working

Still no success with the latest Logitech Drivers for the Fusion camera. Installed 10.5 and all works until the camera switches on. After about 5 seconds you get the BSOD.

Last time I was told v10 works fine but I haven't got these available. Can anyone provide a copy?

17. drval

drval Pro

Look for a file in your <username>\Parallels\<HDimagename>\

folder that is called <HDimagename>.pvs

Find the lines:

Start auto = 1
    AutoShutdown = 0

and set them how you want: ie, 1 is TRUE, whereas 0 is FALSE.

So set AutoShutdown = 0 and you won't have Parallesl shutdown when you shutdown the VM. Alternatively, you could set Start auto = 0 and be able to edit the configuration before the VM starts up.

18. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Hmmm, how can I get iSight drivers without installing bootcamp? I don't want bootcamp!

19. mkummer

mkummer Member

You dont have to install Bootcamp in the sence you install a partition etc. It is only necessary to install the Bootcamp Software from Apple to get the drivers dmg. After installing these drivers in Parallels VM the bootcamp install can be deleted...

20. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

Well. We'll tray fix it. It's may be a bit difficult couse this device not so accessible like other one.

Can you check the device's usb working mode (high or full speed) in guest OS ?

You can do it easily using, for example, "UsbView" or "UsbVerify" utilities from Microsoft DDK.