Upgrade caused loss of video

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Gandalf2, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Gandalf2

Gandalf2 Bit poster

I upgraded today to the latest version on my Macbook Core 2 Duo. The VM starts fine and the splash screen for Windows XP shows along with he progress bar. Then the screen goes black. I hear XP start up but nothing appears on the screen.

I stoped the VM and checked the Video .. it is set to 640/480 resolution and 16 MB RAM. XP was running fine until this latest version. I think something happened when I ran the Tools Installer..

I reinstalled the update and ran Tools Unstaller again. No luck,

Any thoughts?

2. bluloo

bluloo Member

I had the exact same issue on my Mac Pro.

When I got the black screen, I made sure the cursor was over the VM window and hit the enter button, if I heard an error sound, I clicked the mouse button and waited. After a 10-20 seconds I'd click the enter key again, if there was an error sound, it was the mouse click...

IIRC, the VM eventually rebooted and I had a normal screen again.

I think that there was some sort of uninstall or install going on and the clicks/key input is necessary to prompt certain steps in order to complete it.

edit: forgot to mention that I also used applejack to clear caches, repair permissions etc. You can also use Onyx, Tiger Cache Cleaner etc.

That combination worked for me.

good luck

Please post back with results.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  3. Gandalf2

Gandalf2 Bit poster

Problem Solved!

You were on the right track, bluloo. However, your solution did not work for me. Someone else on my local Mac list had the answer:

"I had a similar problem over the Christmas holiday. The video was
    wrong because of Parallels Tools. Boot XP in safe mode (F8, I
    believe) and run parallels tools again. This self corrected the
    problem for me. "

It worked......

4. bluloo

bluloo Member

Sweet!

Someone suggested I boot into safe mode and run parallels tools again as well.

In my haste, I promptly booted OS X into safe mode where Parallels wouldn't even run! LOL! :eek:

Glad you are back on track.

:)