Vista (RC1) plus 3120 + "high" acceleration = unstable OS

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ciparis, Jan 12, 2007.

1. ciparis

ciparis Junior Member

I can't get Vista RC1 (clean installation in a new VM) to successfully boot with High acceleration set (regardless of VTx setting). Reducing speed to normal works fine.

- default "new VM" installed via parallels unattended install (slick!)
    - Mac Pro 2.66
    - 2GB RAM

The installation reaches a race condition, either while booting, or while running a processor-intensive app (usually while booting). The resulting crash tends to corrupt anything caught running.

2. ciparis

ciparis Junior Member

Is Vista RC1 working for anyone with High acceleration?

(preferably on a Mac Pro)

3. gnujon

gnujon Junior Member

Same here

Hi,

I have a Mac Pro 2.66 with 2GB of RAM. My Vista RC1 VM was working fine with the previous beta, but like you I am having problems with 3120 (RC1).

I had Parallels 3120 crash while upgrading the Parallels tools for Vista, I tried again and was able to upgrade the tools on my second attempt, but then I got into a situation where every time I booted it, it wouldn't respond to any input at the Windows login screen (mouse clicks or keyboard). Also, when I switched to full screen, Windows was no longer changing resolution.

So, I went looking in the forums and I saw your post. I've just tried changing from high to normal acceleration and it seems to be working fine like this.

I haven't had any problems with my Windows XP VM though (booted from a bootcamp partition). It still seems stable with the acceleration set to high.

4. prowler

prowler Bit poster

Vista Business plus 3120

I just upgraded to parallels RC build 3120 and also encountered problems booting Vista after I reinstalled Parallel tools and other parallels drivers on Vista Business. i also ran the install disk and tried to repair but the same thing happened. I came across your thread and changed my acceleration to normal and now Vista Business is booting up no problems...Must be an issue on this build with Vista and acceleration. II will email parallel support on this issue aswell - sounds like a bug. note I haven't tried to re-install Vista on this build - that might sort it. When I have an hour or two I will try that.

5. prowler

prowler Bit poster

Problem resolved

Hi.

Weird thing...I noticed that Parallel tools was not installed on my Windows Vista. So i reinstalled them and then reset my acceleration to high and now my Windows Vista is booting up no problems. problem solved....!

6. ciparis

ciparis Junior Member

On my Mac Pro, I can now get Vista to boot, but running a highly processor-intensive task still crashes the OS unless it's reduced to Normal -- even after installing the tools.

7. shawnparker

shawnparker Bit poster

I was having the same problem> i changed to normal mode rebooted. Removed the tools, rebooted, re added tools, did all security updates rebooted , changed back to high and all is working well now ....

8. BlackNeo

BlackNeo Bit poster

can i install the tools when i'm on safe mode? and how do i change the acceleration ? i'm new to mac,,thanks guyz :).